Linear algebra - find all solutions with complex numbers

In summary, for question (a), you are trying to find the solutions to t^{2} + 3t + (3-i) = 0, expressed in the form x+iy where x,y \epsilon R. You have attempted to use the quadratic formula, but you are unsure how to handle the complex number within the square root. For question (b), you are asked to prove that |1+iz|=|1-iz| if and only if z is real. You are unsure where to start and are wondering if there is a specific method to solve this problem without using the quadratic formula.
braindead101
(a)Find all t [tex]\epsilon C[/tex] such that [tex]t^{2}[/tex] + 3t + (3-i) = 0. Express your solution(s) in teh form x+iy where x,y [tex]\epsilon R.[/tex]

(b) Prove that | 1+iz | = | 1-iz | if and only if z is real.

Okay so I tried to use the quadratic formula to find the roots to find the solutions, but I am stuck because I have a complex number within the square roots.

t = -b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac) / 2a
t = -3 +/- sqrt[(-3)^2 - 4(1)(3-i)] / 2(1)
t = -3 +/- sqrt(-3 + 4i) / 2

what do i do?

also for question (b), where do I even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Well, you should know how to take square roots of imaginary numbers, if you're supposed to use that method. Since you do not, it seems, why not retry the question without using the quadratic formula which you probably weren't supposed to use anyway. For example, I hope you wouldn't use the quadratic formula on x^2 - 5x +6 to find the roots of 2 and 3.

2. Iz z=x+iy, you want to show y=0. Well, what does the condition |1-iz|=|1+iz| imply?

I have tried finding the roots like a normal quadratic, but the last term (3-i) is throwing me off.

is there anyway to solve this instead of finding the roots like a normal quadratic.. is there an actual format to do that.. i seem to be just guessing..

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their properties. It involves the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and matrices.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. They are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary parts.

3. How do you find all solutions to a linear algebra problem using complex numbers?

To find all solutions to a linear algebra problem using complex numbers, you can use the Gaussian elimination method or the inverse matrix method. These methods involve manipulating the given equations and solving for the unknown variables.

4. Why do we use complex numbers in linear algebra?

Complex numbers are used in linear algebra because they provide a more complete and efficient way of representing and solving problems involving real and imaginary quantities. They also allow for more general solutions to systems of equations.

5. Can complex numbers be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex numbers have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving alternating current circuits, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanics, among others.