Arguments of Roots of Complex Numbers

In summary: Welcome to PF!In summary, Homework Statement is about solving equations and finding the possible values of arguments for complex numbers.
I like number

Homework Statement

i) Solve the equation [itex] z^3 = \mathbf{i}[/itex].
(ii) Hence find the possible values for the argument of a complex number w which is such that [itex] w^3 = \mathbf{i}(w*)^3[/itex].

I'm stuck on part ii.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the equation in part i: e^(1/6 pi i) , e^(5/6pi i ), e^(-1/2pi i )

In the back of the book it has 6 answers, I can only get three of them. If I draw it out on the argand diagram the 3 answers I am missing would be the arguments if you carried the line on through the axis. For example I have arguments 5/12pi , pi/12, -pi/4 and am missing 3/4pi, -11/12pi and -7/12pi.

My method was to cube root both sides:
e^theta i = Z e^ -theta i
Where Z is one of the solutions to part i, by changing Z I can get 3 solutions but am missing the other three.

After seeing in the book there were six solutions I did manage to get them by letting i = e^pi/2 i and setting it equal to e^6theta i, then I just kept adding 2pi to the argument of i until I got all 6 arguments and ended up back at the beginning. However if I didn't have the answers I wouldn't have known to look for the extra three, and this method didn't involve part i) of the question (which I think it is meant to because of the 'hence').

I'd be interested to see how you all approach the problem, and an explanation of what is actually happening.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi I like number! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: write it (w/w*)3 = i :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi I like number! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: write it (w/w*)3 = i :wink:

Thanks for the reply.
Doing that I end up with

e2itheta=3rdrt i

From part i) of the question I have all 3 values for the 3rdrt i , so i set e2itheta= to each of them one at a time , then find theta but this only gives 3 values.
If I was to plot the values I get on an argand diagram mine would be in the first and fourth quadrant, and I'm missing the 3 values from the second and third quadrants.

I hope I'm making sense, and thanks once again for the help.

I like number

I like number said:
e2itheta=3rdrt i

From part i) of the question I have all 3 values for the 3rdrt i …

ok, so you have three values for e2iθ, which is (e)2,

so e is the square-root of that, which has two values, ± of each other. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
ok, so you have three values for e2iθ, which is (e)2,

so e is the square-root of that, which has two values, ± of each other. :wink:

:blushing: *doh*!

e= ± eπ/12i
And from this I get the value I had which was π/12 if I take the positive root, if I take the negative root then the argument will be π12 + π = 13π/12 which gives the argument -11π/12 which was one of the missing ones :D If i do this for the others I'll get them :)
Perfect, thank you tiny-tim!

I like number

FAQ: Arguments of Roots of Complex Numbers

1. What are complex numbers and why do we need to find their roots?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. We need to find their roots because they are used to represent solutions to polynomial equations and have important applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How can we find the arguments of roots of complex numbers?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. To find the argument of a root of a complex number, we can use the formula arg(z^n) = n*arg(z) where z is the complex number and n is the root we are trying to find.

3. Can complex numbers have multiple roots?

Yes, complex numbers can have multiple roots. For example, the complex number 4 + 0i has two square roots: 2 + 0i and -2 + 0i. This is because when we take the square root of a complex number, we are essentially finding two numbers that, when multiplied together, equal the original complex number.

4. How do we represent complex roots geometrically?

To represent complex roots geometrically, we can plot them in the complex plane. The real part of the root will be the x-coordinate and the imaginary part will be the y-coordinate. The angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the root will be the argument of the root.

5. Are there any special properties of roots of complex numbers?

Yes, there are several special properties of roots of complex numbers. One is that the sum of the nth roots of unity (the complex numbers that, when raised to the nth power, equal 1) is equal to 0. Another is that the product of the nth roots of unity is equal to 1. Additionally, the nth roots of unity are evenly spaced around the unit circle in the complex plane.