How can substitution help with the integration of powers of ln x?

In summary, the integration by parts gave me a recurrence relation that I_n = \int (\ln x)^n dx must satisfy. This allowed me to find the series.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Find
[tex]\int ln x^{2009}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The integration by parts!

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to discover a series which might have helped:
I have taken out the integrals of :
1) ln x = x ln x -x
2) [tex]ln x^{2}[/tex]=x ([tex]ln x^{2}[/tex])-2x ln x +2x
3)[tex]ln x^{3}[/tex]=x[tex]ln x^{3}[/tex]-3x[tex]ln x^{2}[/tex]+6x ln x-6x
4)[tex]ln x^{4}[/tex]=x[tex]ln x^{4}[/tex]-4x[tex]ln x^{3}[/tex]+12x [tex]ln x^{2}[/tex]-12x ln x +12x

But I am unable to find a series. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please note that all the powers here are not on x but on (ln x)

Hey, have u found out the pattern urself?

ritwik06 said:
Hey, have u found out the pattern urself?

I got it as a series doing it just as Vid said. By integrating by parts you can find a recurrence relation that [itex]I_n = \int (\ln x)^n dx[/itex] must satisfy and from that you can figure out the series. So keep working, it's not too bad!

Maybe I'm missing something, but that sub got me Int( (ln(x))^2009)dx = 1/2009Int(e^(u^(1/2009))*u^(1/2009)du. The first sub got me Int(u^(2009)*e^(u))du. The second one is much easier to get to and to solve.

Here's what I have:

[tex]u = (ln x)^{2009} \ du=2009\frac{{lnx}^{2008}}{x}[/tex]
[tex]dv=1 \ v = x[/tex]
[tex]\int (lnx)^{2009} dx = x(lnx)^{2009} - 2009\int (lnx)^{2008} dx[/tex]

And so on...

Actually I think it's the same thing, only with different variables.

Yea, my u was for a change of variable followed by a by parts. Yours was just a by parts so it's the same. I had thought you meant to do a change of variable with u = ln(x)^2009 which is pretty messy.

or maybe you can substitute u=ln(x), which would leave you with integrals in terms of e^(u) which, i think, will be easier to work with as compared to ln(x)

What is the definition of ln x?

ln x is the natural logarithm function, which is the inverse of the exponential function. In other words, it is the power to which the base e (approximately 2.71828) must be raised to equal x.

What is the power rule for integrating ln x?

The power rule for integrating ln x states that the integral of ln x raised to any power is equal to the original power times the natural logarithm of x, plus a constant. This can be written as ∫lnn x dx = xlnn x - ∫xlnn-1 x dx.

How do you integrate ln x when the power is a fraction?

To integrate ln x when the power is a fraction, use the substitution method. Let u = ln x and du = 1/x dx. Then the integral becomes ∫lnn x dx = ∫un du. This can be solved using the power rule for integration.

What is the domain of ln x?

The domain of ln x is all real numbers greater than 0. This is because the natural logarithm function is undefined for x=0 and negative numbers.

Can the integration of powers of ln x be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the integration of powers of ln x can be used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to model and solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as optimization problems.