Understanding Natural Units in Physics

In summary, the author of a book on physics-based mathematics discusses the use of natural units (h = c = 1) in formulae. They explain that this choice of units allows for a simpler calculation, but it does not change the concept of energy being different from mass. The chosen unit of time and length scales affects the unit of energy, and this can be further altered. There are additional resources, such as Wikipedia pages, that can provide more information on this topic.
arman.k.blog
So I have been going through a book on physics-based mathematics. I have seen the author using natural units (h = c = 1) in formulae. Why is this done? Most importantly, doesn't it mess up the true calculation? For example, take e = mc^2. If I set c = 1, it becomes e = m. So if I am given a mass and have been told to calculate the energy, it's the same as the given mass! How is this all consistent? I don't get the concept. I would be glad if someone would explain it in a simple manner. Thanks in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Its not that confusing.We're just saying that,our length scale is somehow that light travels one unit of it in one unit of our time. Or alternatively our time scale is somehow that light travels one unit of our length scale in that time and then say we don't care what are those time and length scales!Its the same about h.
And about the formula E=m. Energy is not the same as mass here! Let's say the unit of time and length scales we chose are a and b.Then we have [itex]E(kg a/b)=m(kg) c^2(a/b)[/itex] its just we have c=1 in the unit a/b! and of course our unit of energy here becomes different from joule.We may also alter the unit of mass to an arbitrary one which again changes our unit of energy.

there's a wikipedia page on the topic.

that and the page on Planck units, maybe that can help.

What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of measurement used in physics that sets fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light and the charge of an electron, equal to 1. This eliminates the need for conversion factors and simplifies equations.

How are natural units used in scientific research?

Natural units are used to simplify equations and make calculations easier. They are particularly useful in theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, where the traditional units of measurement can become complicated and cumbersome.

Why are natural units important?

Natural units allow scientists to focus on the relationships between physical quantities without worrying about units of measurement. This allows for a deeper understanding of fundamental laws and principles in physics.

How are natural units different from traditional units?

Traditional units, such as meters and seconds, are based on arbitrary definitions and can vary depending on the system of measurement used. Natural units, on the other hand, are based on fundamental physical constants and are the same for all observers.

Are natural units used in all branches of physics?

While natural units are commonly used in theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, they are not always the most practical choice in all branches of physics. In some cases, traditional units may be more appropriate for specific measurements and experiments.