Urgend: Sum of digits question

In summary, Fred has a question that has puzelled him since Monday. He asks if anyone can help him and provides a summary of the conversation. The summary states that Fred has a question that has puzelled him since Monday, and that as long as the rightest digit in the binary number a_0 is dividable by 2, then the whole of a is dividable by 2.
Mathman23
I have question here which has puzelled me since monday. Hope there is somebody here who can give a hint/help.

Let "a" be number written in base 10.

a_0 * 10^0 + a_1 * 10^1 + a_2 * 10^2 + -------+ a_n * 10^n

where 0 \leq a_i \leq 10.

Prove that the number 2 divides a, if and only if 2 divides a_0.

Can anybody give me a hint on how to go about solving this?

Can I claim that a_0 must not equal zero for 2 to divide a_0 ??

Sincerley Yours
Fred

Physics news on Phys.org
2 divides 0, 10, 20, 100,000, all of which have a_0=0.

x divides y if and only if y is congruent to zero mod x.

All its saying is that a number is even if its units entry is even, which you've known since you were so high (holds hand some height above floor).

Maybe I'm stupid then it comes to this kind of math, but what should my approach be then I'm faced with such an assigment as this? Because my textbook doens't explain all this very well.

What would You Matt surgest then solving this kind of problem?

What I get in this problem is that the divider must not be larger than 10, or smaller than 0.

Sincerely

Fred

Last edited:
No. I don't think you understand the question, do you? Try an example.

Suppose a=423526, then what are the a_i? They are a_0=6, a_1=2, a_3=5, a_4=3, a_5=2, a_6=4.

Now, you've known all your mathematical life since you learned what division was that a is divisible by 2 precisely because a_0=6 (i.e. the last digit in the decimal expansion) is divisible by 2. a = a_0 +10*(something) and 10 is divisible by 2.

Okay thanks for the example,

Than You prove this by saying that as long a the rightest digit in the binary number a_0 is dividable by 2, then the whole of a is dividable by 2??

Sincerley
Fred

p.s. In other words as longs as 2 is dividable by a number y with the smallest reminder, then 2 is dividable by the whole number "a"?

Last edited:
This is not binary, this is base 10.

Dividable is not, I think, a word. Divisible is, and you have it the wrong way round. You are asking when a is divisible by 2.

Well, you don't "prove" it that way. Write your number
anan-1...a2a1a0
as (anan-1...a2a1)(10)+ a0.

Do you see why that's true? Do you see why the first term is always divisible by 2?

1. What is the "Urgend: Sum of digits question"?

The "Urgend: Sum of digits question" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of the digits in a given number. It is often used as a coding challenge or brain teaser.

2. How do you solve the "Urgend: Sum of digits question"?

To solve the "Urgend: Sum of digits question", you need to first identify the individual digits in the given number. Then, you add all of the digits together to find the sum. For example, if the number is 123, the sum of digits would be 1+2+3=6.

3. Can the "Urgend: Sum of digits question" be solved using a formula or algorithm?

Yes, there are several formulas and algorithms that can be used to solve the "Urgend: Sum of digits question". One common approach is to use a loop to iterate through each digit and add it to a running total.

4. Is the "Urgend: Sum of digits question" only applicable to whole numbers?

No, the "Urgend: Sum of digits question" can also be applied to decimal numbers. In this case, the decimal point is not considered a digit and can be ignored when finding the sum of digits.

5. What is the significance of the "Urgend" in the name of this question?

The term "Urgend" is most likely a made-up word and has no specific significance in the context of this question. It is often used as an arbitrary name for mathematical problems or challenges.