How Does Current Direction Affect Magnetic Field Between Parallel Wires?

• Thread starter cy19861126
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, two long parallel conductors carrying currents I1 = 3.00A and I2 = 3.00 A, directed into the page, result in a magnetic field at point P with a magnitude of 13.0uT directed towards the bottom of the page. The direction of the field from I1 can be determined using the right hand rule, where the thumb points towards the current and the curled fingers indicate the direction of the field. The equations used in this solution are B = uI/(2*3.14*r) and u = 1.26*10^-6 T*m/A.
cy19861126

Homework Statement

Two long parallel conductors carry currents I1 = 3.00A and I2 = 3.00 A, both directed into the page as shown below. Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant magnetic field at P.

Homework Equations

B = uI/(2*3.14*r)
u = 1.26*10^-6 T*m/A

The Attempt at a Solution

B(I1) = 1.26*10^-6 * 3.00/(2*3.14*0.05) = 1.2*10^-5T
B(I2) = 1.26*10^-6 * 3.00/(2*3.14*0.12) = 5*10^-6T
Now I am having trouble figuring out which direction it is going. Any help would be good. Thanks! I am familiar with the right hand rule, where if you point the thumb to where the current is going and curl the finger, the finger points toward the direction of the magnetic field. The answer for this question is 13.0uT toward the bottom of the page

Attachments

• #53.JPG
    #53.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, how about the field from I1, do you know which way it points at P?

I would like to clarify that the term "straight wired magnetism" is not a commonly used term in the field of physics. The correct term for the phenomenon described in this question is "magnetic field due to two parallel currents."

Moving on to the solution, your calculations for the individual magnetic fields are correct. To determine the direction of the resultant magnetic field at point P, we can use the superposition principle, which states that the total magnetic field at a point due to multiple currents is the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields at that point.

In this case, the magnetic fields due to I1 and I2 are in the same direction, so we can simply add their magnitudes to get the resultant magnetic field at P. The direction of the resultant field is determined by the right hand rule, where the thumb represents the direction of the current and the curled fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field. In this case, the resultant magnetic field will be pointing downwards (towards the bottom of the page).

Therefore, the magnitude of the resultant magnetic field at point P is 1.2*10^-5 T + 5*10^-6 T = 1.7*10^-5 T and the direction is downwards.

1. What is "straight wired magnetism"?

Straight wired magnetism refers to the phenomenon of magnetism that is created when an electric current flows through a straight wire. This type of magnetism is also known as electromagnetism.

2. How is straight wired magnetism different from other types of magnetism?

Straight wired magnetism is different from other types of magnetism, such as permanent magnetism, because it is only present when an electric current is flowing through the wire. It can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of the current, while permanent magnetism is always present in certain materials.

3. What are some practical applications of straight wired magnetism?

Straight wired magnetism has many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as speakers and headphones, to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

4. How does the strength of straight wired magnetism depend on the current?

The strength of straight wired magnetism is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire. This means that the stronger the current, the stronger the magnetism will be. Additionally, the direction of the current will determine the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Can straight wired magnetism be used to create a magnetic field in a specific direction?

Yes, by controlling the direction of the current flowing through the wire, the direction of the magnetic field can be controlled. This is why electromagnets are often used in applications where a specific direction of magnetism is needed, such as in electric motors.