Pre-Cal; rational inequalities

In summary, the problem is to solve the inequality x-2|x|<3. This can be done by breaking it into two cases: when x is greater than or equal to 0, and when x is less than 0. In the first case, the inequality is always true. In the second case, the inequality is true for all x less than 1. Therefore, the solution for x is any real number. It is important to understand the meaning of |x| in order to correctly solve this problem.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

1. x-2|x| < 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I attempted this equation below but I don't know if I'm right.

x-2|x|- 3 < 0

x^2 - 2x - 3 < 0

(x - 3) (x + 1) < 0

x = 3 x = -1

Physics news on Phys.org
priscilla98 said:

x-2|x|- 3 < 0

x^2 - 2x - 3 < 0

(x - 3) (x + 1) < 0

x = 3 x = -1

Why do you have an "x" in the first line and then a "x2" in the 2nd? What is the original problem? Is it this:
[tex]x - 2|x| - 3 < 0[/tex]
or this?
[tex]x^2 - 2|x| - 3 < 0[/tex]

BTW: this is not a rational inequality.69

priscilla98 said:
x-2|x|- 3 < 0

x^2 - 2x - 3 < 0

There is just no justification for the step from the first inequality to the second.

Your last line, an equality is unlikely to be a correct answer to this question about an inequality.

But presuming what you mean is at that at these points it changes from < to > or vice versa, even if finding an answer is difficult, checking whether it is the right answer - whether your starting inequalities change at those points you gave - is not and you should not need to ask us.

This is really a very simple question as long as you get straight what it means, particularly what |x| means.

I suggest it is just slightly more obvious if you rewrite the problem in the form

x - 3 < 2|x|

and draw a graph of the two sides.

The original problem is

x-2|x|< 3

epenguin said:
There is just no justification for the step from the first inequality to the second.

Your last line, an equality is unlikely to be a correct answer to this question about an inequality.

But presuming what you mean is at that at these points it changes from < to > or vice versa, even if finding an answer is difficult, checking whether it is the right answer - whether your starting inequalities change at those points you gave - is not and you should not need to ask us.

This is really a very simple question as long as you get straight what it means, particularly what |x| means.

I suggest it is just slightly more obvious if you rewrite the problem in the form

x - 3 < 2|x|

and draw a graph of the two sides.

x-2|x| < 3

My last line which was x^2 - 2x < 3. I treated this problem x-2|x| < 3 as x(x - 2), I don't know if I did it right or not, I at least attempted to answer this question because I don't like to ask questions and I didn't at least attempted it. Okay, then you might think its an easy question but I don't know, I admit I'm not perfect. I'm trying to figure it out and take it step by step. For example, I'm pretty sure |x| just means x

x - 3 < 2|x|

Therefore, how would you start off to get x separately? Therefore,

x - 3 < 2x is the same as x - 3 < 2|x|, am i right?

priscilla98 said:
The original problem is

x-2|x|< 3

They are equivalent. You get mine by adding 2|x| to both sides, and subtracting 3 from both sides. You already did something like that yourself and that bit was not wrong.

If something < something else then if you subtract the same amount from (or add the same amount to) both the something and the something else, then the < remains true in the result. Basically all you ever do with equations and inequalities is do the same thing to both sides so that you change one true statement into another. But you were not doing that in the step I criticised.

The simplest way to do this problem, and any problems involving absolute value, it to break it into cases:

case I: [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] so |x|= x.
The inequality is just x- 2x= -x< 3. Then x> -3 but since we are requiring that [itex]x\ge 0[/math] that says the inequality is true for all [itex]x\ge 0[/itex].

case II: x< 0 so |x|= -x.
The inequality is x+ 2x= 3x< 3 so that x< 1. Since we are requiring that x< 0, that says the inequality is true for all x< 0.

Putting those together, x- 2|x|< 3 is true for all x!

So, this is how you did it --> x - 3 < 2|x|

As you stated you just subtract 3 and add the 2x over the other side. Then, this is an equality can you state x cannot equal to 2. I guess your right that the problem is similar but I don't really understand how you can get x by it self. For example x > 2.

Wait, would you have to get the LCD? But I'm confused, usually when I see fractions, I use the LCD

OK you are trying it out, but you are very handicapped if you don't know what the question means. Which you don't if you don't know what |x| means (where x is any real number).

It just means the quantity x in absolute amount, i.e. always a non-negative number, i.e. |x| = x when x > 0 or x = 0, |x| = -x when x < 0.

Problems involving |x| are usually solved by treating the two cases separately. Edit: as HOI has also said.

(Can I ask has anything I said reminded you of anything said in class? - because with some of the problems I have seen brought here I wonder if students had no notes or no textbooks to look up things.)

Last edited:
priscilla98 said:
Wait, would you have to get the LCD? But I'm confused, usually when I see fractions, I use the LCD

Hope my previous post helps. There are no fractions, LCD etc. in this problem it is much simpler, only additions/subtractions and knowing what | | means.

Sorry there was a typo in #9 making it incomprehensible :blushing:, now corrected.

epenguin said:
OK you are trying it out, but you are very handicapped if you don't know what the question means. Which you don't if you don't know what |x| means (where x is any real number).

It just means the quantity x in absolute amount, i.e. always a non-negative number, i.e. |x| = x when x > 0 or x = 0, |x| = -x when x < 0.

Problems involving |x| are usually solved by treating the two cases separately. Edit: as HOI has also said.

(Can I ask has anything I said reminded you of anything said in class? - because with some of the problems I have seen brought here I wonder if students had no notes or no textbooks to look up things.)

Okay, your right, x has two values since it has the brackets, it would be x and -x. Yes, what your talking about now reminds me of something in class. I even brought the Pre-calculus by J.S. Ratti and I have so many notes that I can't even count how much I must have now since school started last week. This is one of the problems from my homework and my teacher counted this as an extra credit since she didn't teach it much but thanks for helping me in this problem. I really do hope with my devotion to studying pre-calculus that I will pass the test.

Thanks a lot :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
The simplest way to do this problem, and any problems involving absolute value, it to break it into cases:

case I: [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] so |x|= x.
The inequality is just x- 2x= -x< 3. Then x> -3 but since we are requiring that [itex]x\ge 0[/math] that says the inequality is true for all [itex]x\ge 0[/itex].

case II: x< 0 so |x|= -x.
The inequality is x+ 2x= 3x< 3 so that x< 1. Since we are requiring that x< 0, that says the inequality is true for all x< 0.

Putting those together, x- 2|x|< 3 is true for all x!

Thanks a lot for showing me step by step on how to solve this problem. Some people are so understanding to others when they need help and are quite unsure. You just made me have extra points for my test which i guess i need. But I'm going to study for this because I have calculus along with pre-calculus but i brought some books and will go through them.

1. What are rational inequalities in Pre-Calculus?

Rational inequalities are inequalities that contain a rational expression. A rational expression is a fraction where the numerator and denominator are polynomials. These types of inequalities often involve finding the values of the variable that make the inequality true.

2. How do you graph rational inequalities?

To graph a rational inequality, first solve the inequality for the variable. Then, plot the solutions on a number line with an open circle for < or > and a closed circle for ≤ or ≥. Finally, shade the area between the solutions to show all the possible values that satisfy the inequality.

3. How do you solve rational inequalities algebraically?

To solve rational inequalities algebraically, first find the critical values by setting the numerator and denominator to zero and solve for the variable. Then, plot the critical values on a number line and test a value from each interval to determine if it satisfies the inequality. The intervals that satisfy the inequality will be the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving rational inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving rational inequalities include forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, incorrectly factoring the rational expression, and not checking the critical values to ensure they are valid solutions.

5. How are rational inequalities used in real life?

Rational inequalities are used in real life to solve problems involving rates, proportions, and budgets. For example, a business owner may use rational inequalities to determine the minimum number of products they need to sell to make a profit. Engineers also use rational inequalities to model and solve real-world problems, such as determining the maximum weight a bridge can hold or the minimum amount of material needed to build a structure.