NPN Transistor - Sink or Source?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different configurations for driving an LED with an NPN transistor and a +5V source, and whether sourcing or sinking is better. It also mentions the importance of how the base is driven and the definition of "better" in this situation. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to use a PNP transistor for sourcing current without a voltage drop penalty in a 3D LED cube project.
tangodirt
All electron flow nuances aside, let's look at simple circuit analysis. Hopefully you guys can clarify something for me. Say we have to drive an LED. We have a +5V source, a 3.4V forward voltage, and a 150 Ohm current limiting resistor:

+5V --> Resistor --> LED --> GND

Okay, so let's add an NPN transistor in here to turn the LED on and off (ignore the base for now). We have two possible configurations:

+5V --> NPN Trans. --> Resistor --> LED --> GND
or
+5V --> Resistor --> LED --> NPN Trans. --> GND

Of course, the first one would have the transistor in a "source" mode while the second one would have it in a "sink" mode.

Which one is better for driving the LED, or does it not matter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think both configurations can be made to work but the keys to the question will be how the base is to be driven (I assume you plan to use it to turn the LED on and off) and what you mean by better. For example, does better mean a tighter tolerance on LED current?

es1 said:
I think both configurations can be made to work but the keys to the question will be how the base is to be driven (I assume you plan to use it to turn the LED on and off) and what you mean by better. For example, does better mean a tighter tolerance on LED current?

The base pin would be driven by a 5V output from a micro controller with a 560 Ohm current limiting resistor - same in both situations. Better simply means a brighter LED.

Hopefully the attached sketch will make things clear.

The transistor is off when the voltage between the base and emitter (Vbe) is less than 0.7 volts.
That is no current passes through the load via either the emitter or collector.

If Vbe is increased beyond 0.7 volts, the transistor is on and current passes through the load.

Since Vbe) + VL = supply voltage you can see where the base has to reside in the off condition.

Attachments

• soursink.jpg
    soursink.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,104
So I think in your case, with the base driven by a 5V 560Ω source, the sink is better as it can produce a higher LED current when we ignore the practical limitations of the semiconductors.

If we set the LED series R to 0Ω to maximize LED current we get:

Source => Iled = Bf*(5-Vbe-Vled)/560
Sink => Iled = Bf*(5-Vbe)/560

As Vled > 0 the sink can produce greater currents.

These equations fall out naturally from Studiot's sketch, and he provides an explanation for them.

But I think in practice setting the series R to 0Ω would likely produce currents that exceed the Ic rating of the NPN and the If rating of the LED. And since those are the limiting terms for the circuit in both cases I would say for your base driver and definition of better they are equivalent.

To see how a slight change in parameters can make things different, consider the case where the microcontroller output was 3.3V with the same 560Ω current limiting resistor.

But I think in practice setting the series R to 0Ω

Perhaps I should have mentioned that my 'load' includes series limiting resistors as well as LEDs.

Some LED types have a built in resistor.

Last edited:
Okay, so I did some measurements today and got some interesting results.

With the transistor placed before the LED and resistor (sourcing), I found a voltage drop across the transistor of about 1V. This reduced the current flowing through the system (with 8 LED's) to about 83 mA.

With the transistor sinking the LED and resistor, a voltage drop of about 0.1V was had. The current flowing through the same circuit (8 LED's) was about 140 mA.

I am in a position now where I need the transistor to source the current, so what would you guys recommend? I believe a MOSFET will dissipate even more voltage, so I think that's out of the question. I had a EE recommend that I use a PNP transistor instead of an NPN, but I am not sure if that will solve my problem.

Basically, I want all of the advantages of the sinking NPN transistor, but I want to have it source the current (other limitations require this). Recommendations?

tangodirt said:
Basically, I want all of the advantages of the sinking NPN transistor, but I want to have it source the current (other limitations require this). Recommendations?
Use a pnp transistor. You may need to add a pull up resistor.BTW. Why the need for source, do your LED's have a common cathode?

uart said:
Use a pnp transistor. You may need to add a pull up resistor.

BTW. Why the need for source, do your LED's have a common cathode?

This is for a 3D LED cube and the transistor is used to select the current layer for muxing. The shift registers I am planning to use can both source and sink, but in the case that they don't work, I want to have the ability to use an LED driver (which as far as I can tell, only sink current). I really don't want to be flipping LED's around on the cube in the case that I have to flip the anode and cathode.

A PNP transistor will allow for sourcing current without the voltage drop penalty? I am much more familiar with NPN transistors than PNP.

1. What is an NPN transistor?

An NPN transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that consists of three layers of doped semiconductor material. It is used as a switch or amplifier in electronic circuits.

2. What is the difference between a sink and a source?

In the context of NPN transistors, a sink is a terminal that draws current into the transistor, while a source is a terminal that provides current to the transistor. In other words, a sink is where the current is being pulled from, and a source is where the current is being supplied to.

3. How does an NPN transistor function as a sink or source?

When used as a sink, the base terminal of an NPN transistor is connected to a higher voltage source, and the emitter terminal is connected to a load. This allows current to flow from the load, through the transistor, and into the higher voltage source. When used as a source, the base terminal is connected to a lower voltage source, and the collector terminal is connected to a load. This allows current to flow from the lower voltage source, through the transistor, and into the load.

4. Can an NPN transistor be used as both a sink and a source?

Yes, an NPN transistor can be used as both a sink and a source in different circuits. Its functionality depends on how it is connected in the circuit and the voltage sources used.

5. What are some common applications of NPN transistors?

NPN transistors are commonly used in electronic circuits as switches, amplifiers, and in current control applications. They are also used in digital logic circuits, power supplies, and audio amplifiers.