Volume of an ellipsoid using double integrals

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid bound by the ellipsoid using double integrals. This is the last question and the student is having trouble finding a solution. The first step is to project the ellipsoid onto the xy-plane, giving an ellipse. From there, the heights at each point can be found, and the difference between the two heights is the function to be integrated. The resulting volume can be found by integrating over the ellipse and the limits of x from -a to a. This is essentially the same as using a triple integral.
Lucas Mayr

Homework Statement

Using double integrals, calculate the volume of the solid bound by the ellipsoid:

x²/a² + y²/b² + z²/c² = 1

2. Relevant data

must be done using double integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

i simply can't find a way to solve this by double integrals, i did with triple integral, but my teacher won't accept it, this is the last question and i can't find a solution for it, a step-by-step would be awsome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it were a solid of rotation you could do it in a single-integral right?
Basically you have to use reasoning in the place of one of the integrals ...

Find the volume between $$z=c^2\left ( 1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2} \right )$$ and the x-y plane.

Lucas Mayr said:
i simply can't find a way to solve this by double integrals, i did with triple integral, but my teacher won't accept it, this is the last question and i can't find a solution for it, a step-by-step would be awsome.
The first integration in the triple integral is trivial, and afterwards you get a double-integral - you can use this double-integral (ignoring the first step) to solve the problem.

Essentially the same idea: projecting the ellipsoid to the xy-plane (z= 0) gives the ellipse [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2= 1[/itex]. The two heights at each (x, y) point are [itex]z= \pm c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}[/itex]. The difference, [itex]2c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}[/itex], is the length of thin rectangle above that point and is the function to be integrated. For each x, The ellipse goes from [itex]y= -b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex] to [itex]y= b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex]. And, over all, x goes from -a to a. The volume of the ellipse is given by
[tex]\int_{-a}^a\int_{-b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}^{b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}} 2c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2} dydx[/tex].

As mfb says, this is the same as if you started with the triple integral
[tex]\int_{-a}^a\int_{-b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}^{b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}\int_{-c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}}^{c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}} dzdydx[/tex]
and integrated once.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a flattened sphere. It is defined by three axes of different lengths, with the longest axis being the equatorial axis and the shortest being the polar axis.

2. How is the volume of an ellipsoid calculated?

The volume of an ellipsoid can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πabc, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the three axes. This formula is derived from the double integral method, which involves integrating the equation (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1 over the ellipsoid's volume.

3. Why is double integration used to calculate the volume of an ellipsoid?

Double integration is used because it allows for the volume of a three-dimensional shape to be calculated by integrating over two variables. In the case of an ellipsoid, the equation (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1 can be integrated over the x-y plane and then multiplied by the height (c) to get the total volume.

4. Can the volume of an ellipsoid be calculated using a single integral?

No, the volume of an ellipsoid cannot be calculated using a single integral. This is because the equation (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1 cannot be rearranged to solve for a single variable, so it cannot be integrated with respect to a single variable.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the volume of an ellipsoid?

Yes, calculating the volume of an ellipsoid is important in fields such as geodesy, where it is used to model the shape of the Earth. It is also used in engineering and architecture to design structures with curved surfaces, such as domes or water towers.