Mechanics using linear algebra helpa please.

In summary, the student is using three equations given by their professor to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 3 x 3 matrix. They have found one root (lambda = 2) but are having trouble factoring the remaining equation to find the other two roots. They believe that all three roots should be real.
KoGs
Question 20. The 3 equations I am using were given to me by my prof, so I can't imagine it being wrong. But you never know. Well as you can see my work is shown. My goal is to find the determinant of this 3 x 3 matrix, and from the determinant find the eigenvalues. Then using those eigenvalues to find the eigenvectors.The problem I run into when doing the determinant and then setting it equal 0 I get: -lamda^3 + 6lamda^2 - 10lamda + 4 = 0. Which I can't really see how to factor. So I can't imagine it having all real roots. And I am pretty sure it should have all real roots.

Thanks for any help.

http://members.shaw.ca/KingofGods/question.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/KingofGods/solution.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
lambda = 2 is a factor and all three roots are real.

Oh my gosh, you are the best. So now all I got to do is remember how to do long division to get the other 2 roots :). Thx again.

What is linear algebra and how is it used in mechanics?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with systems of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. In mechanics, it is used to describe the motion and forces acting on objects in a linear system, such as in Newton's laws of motion.

What are some common applications of linear algebra in mechanics?

Linear algebra is used in a variety of applications in mechanics, such as analyzing the forces and motion of objects in a system, solving systems of equations to determine unknown variables, and creating mathematical models to predict the behavior of physical systems.

How does linear algebra help in solving problems in mechanics?

Linear algebra provides a powerful set of tools for solving problems in mechanics. It allows for the representation and manipulation of physical quantities, such as forces and velocities, using mathematical equations and matrices. This makes it easier to analyze and solve complex problems in mechanics.

What are some key concepts in linear algebra that are useful in mechanics?

Some key concepts in linear algebra that are useful in mechanics include vectors, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts provide a way to represent and manipulate physical quantities and equations in a more organized and efficient manner.

Are there any resources available for learning about mechanics using linear algebra?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about mechanics using linear algebra. These include textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials that cover the basics of both linear algebra and mechanics, as well as more advanced topics. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and applying concepts in order to gain a better understanding of the subject.