Flow Control Valves - Help for Mech Engg Student

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of flow control using valves and the importance of understanding "Cv" in sizing control valves. Various resources, such as valve manufacturer websites and Fisher's Control Valve Handbook, are suggested for further information on the subject.
venkatr56
hello i am a mech engg student, i have few doubts in fluid dynamics and thermal engg subjects.. i would like to be cleared of them by this discussion forums
could anyone please explain the principle of flow control using valves...waiting for ...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The area of flow control is a pretty broad area in that there are a lot of ways that the control is achieved. Can you be a little more specific with your question?

To get you started off, I would suggest looking over web sites of valve manufacturers (Fisher/Emerson, Valtek, etc...). They have tons of information.

The first and foremost thing I would suggest reading is Fisher's Control Valve Handbook. It is located here:

http://www.documentation.emersonprocess.com/groups/public/documents/book/cvh99.pdf

Here is another resource for Control Valve information.

Understanding "Cv" is important to sizing control valves. This is GPM of water that a valve will pass for a pressure drop of 1 psi. Once you know this, you can determine using the Cv calculations how much flow that same valve will pass at other pressure drops, or determine what pressure drop you can expect from other flows.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/flow-coefficients-d_277.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a flow control valve?

A flow control valve is a type of valve that regulates the flow rate or pressure of a fluid in a system. It can be used to control the flow of liquid or gas in pipelines, pumps, and other mechanical systems.

2. How does a flow control valve work?

A flow control valve works by using a movable element or mechanism, such as a ball, disc, or diaphragm, to adjust the size of the opening through which the fluid can pass. This controls the flow rate and pressure of the fluid by either restricting or allowing more flow.

3. What are the different types of flow control valves?

There are several types of flow control valves, including globe valves, butterfly valves, gate valves, ball valves, and needle valves. Each type has its own unique design and function, but they all serve the same purpose of regulating fluid flow.

4. What are some common applications for flow control valves?

Flow control valves are used in a wide range of industries and applications, including water treatment, oil and gas, chemical processing, HVAC systems, and many more. They are essential for maintaining proper flow rates and pressures in various mechanical systems.

5. How do I select the right flow control valve for my application?

Choosing the right flow control valve depends on several factors, such as the type of fluid, flow rate, pressure, and temperature of the system. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer or valve expert to determine the best valve for your specific application.