PWM for controlling liquid flow through a Solenoid Valve

In summary: Yes the flow-sensors have an accuracy of 0.5%Mixing will happen with both streams(water & coolant) entering a Static Mixer together.In summary, the goal of this project is to control the flow-rate of water through a Solenoid Valve in a continuous closed-loop process. The investigation found that a Motorized Modulating type valve with 4-20mA PWM output will work, but their opening & closing times are nearly 15 seconds which is way more than what I can offer. So, the one quotation I have received so far consists of the PWM enabled Solenoid Valve with a PWM Controller which amounted to a total of approx. 700 USD here in India
kunalvanjare
Hello guys, I am looking to control the flowrate of water through a Solenoid Valve in a continuous closed-loop process.

I inquired about Proportional Flow Solenoid Valves and these are a little too expensive and only a handful of manufacturers are supplying those.

But I looked online for some PWM Controllers and found a few, but I don't really know much about this topic as this field is new to me (I am a machine designer by profession). I've come here to ask you guys for some guidance :)

So the application is to control the flow-rate using PWM. I was told that you need to purchase Solenoid Valves with PWM-specific coils and a Controller to convert the 0-20mA signal from the PLC into PWM signals.

How do I go about this? And could you'll advise which PWM Controller would work for an application like this?

Thanks,
KV

Engineering news on Phys.org
Proportional Flow Solenoid Valves is not your only possibility.

Closed loop control of flow can be accomplished with many kinds of valves. For example a motor operated valve with only ramp-up/ramp-down/hold-position modes. Positioning can be continuous although rate of change of position is discontinuous.

Likes Lnewqban
anorlunda said:
Proportional Flow Solenoid Valves is not your only possibility.

Closed loop control of flow can be accomplished with many kinds of valves. For example a motor operated valve with only ramp-up/ramp-down/hold-position modes. Positioning can be continuous although rate of change of position is discontinuous.
I checked Motorized Modulating type valves that work on 4-20mA. But their opening & closing times are nearly 15 seconds which is way more than what I can offer.

Please don't make us guess. Give us your complete list of specifications.

anorlunda said:
Please don't make us guess. Give us your complete list of specifications.
Alright. Here you go.

I have to introduce a coolant, flow-rates ranging from 500ml to 2000ml into my system where it has to mix downstream with a flow of water coming under gravity. The water shall be introduced into the system under gravity or through the plant's water supply line, due to which the flow-rate might fluctuate.

I need to control the flow of coolant to effectively match that of water in real-time so that my final mixture doesn't get affected with an accuracy of approx +- 0.5%.

Hope this info shall suffice. Feel free to let me know if you need any more details & parameters.

You started by saying some solutions are too expensive. How much are you willing to spend?

What is the accuracy of the water inflow rate? How is it being measured?

AZFIREBALL said:
What is the accuracy of the water inflow rate? How is it being measured?
It will be measured with a Turbine flow sensor installed in my system. Flow-rate of water is mostly constant, but there are occasional drops if the main water tanks run out of water. But this is usually monitored so doesn't happen very often. But in case if it does during operation of my system, I can have an interlock to shut-off the system at a minimum pre-set flowrate of water.

anorlunda said:
You started by saying some solutions are too expensive. How much are you willing to spend?
So, the one quotation I have received so far consists of the PWM enabled Solenoid Valve with a PWM Controller which amounted to a total of approx. 700 USD here in India. This is the product - https://www.asco.com/en-gb/Pages/accessories-series-603.aspx

I would ideally look for something cheaper than that, although I haven't really set a price in mind.

Is the water flow rate measurement within +- 0.5%?
What method of mixing is provided?
How will the final mix percentage be measured?

AZFIREBALL said:
Is the water flow rate measurement within +- 0.5%?
What method of mixing is provided?
How will the final mix percentage be measured?

Yes the flow-sensors have an accuracy of 0.5%

Mixing will happen with both streams(water & coolant) entering a Static Mixer together.

With a refractometer.

1. What is PWM and how does it work?

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It is a technique used to control the amount of power supplied to a device by rapidly switching the power on and off at a fixed frequency. The width of the on and off pulses can be adjusted, allowing for precise control of the power output.

2. How is PWM used to control liquid flow through a Solenoid Valve?

PWM can be used to control the opening and closing of a Solenoid Valve by adjusting the power supply to the valve. By varying the width of the pulses, the amount of liquid flowing through the valve can be regulated.

3. What are the benefits of using PWM for controlling liquid flow through a Solenoid Valve?

PWM offers precise control over the flow of liquid, allowing for more accurate dosing and dispensing. It also reduces energy consumption and heat generation, making it a more efficient method of control.

4. What factors should be considered when using PWM for controlling liquid flow through a Solenoid Valve?

The frequency of the PWM signal, the duty cycle (ratio of on time to total time), and the voltage and current ratings of the Solenoid Valve should all be taken into account. It is important to select a PWM frequency that is appropriate for the valve and to ensure that the duty cycle does not exceed the maximum rating of the valve.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using PWM for controlling liquid flow through a Solenoid Valve?

One limitation of PWM is that it can cause mechanical wear on the Solenoid Valve due to the rapid switching of power. This can lead to a shorter lifespan of the valve. Additionally, PWM may not be suitable for applications where a constant, steady flow of liquid is required.