Finding Induced Current Density (J) in a Cylinder under a Magnetic Field

In summary: DenisIn summary, the induced current density (J) is proportional to the magnetic field (B) applied, the current flows in a direction perpendicular to the applied field, and the power dissipated in the cylinder is J*B*cosWT.
denislemenoir
Given a cylinder of length L, radius a and conductivity sigma, how does one find the induced currenty density (J) as a function of p when a magnetic field B is applied?

Where p is the distance from the axis of the cylinder and B is applied along the axis of the cylinder, B = Bosin(wt).

(Neglecting any additional fields due to the induced current)

Hence, how does one calculate the power dissipated in the cylinder?

Thanks
Denis

Physics news on Phys.org
denislemenoir said:
Given a cylinder of length L, radius a and conductivity sigma, how does one find the induced currenty density (J) as a function of p when a magnetic field B is applied?
I am confused by the setup here. Is it a hollow cylinder? If so, what is its thickness?

I can't help answer your question until I clarify the problem. But consider these questions:

Which law applies here? (Hint it is not Ampere's law or either of Gauss' laws).

What is the flux and the rate of change of flux through the area enclosed by the the cylinder? How is that related to the induced voltage? How is that related to the current and conductivity (and length and area)?

I am a little confused about the current density (J=I/A) in this case because I am not sure what the cross sectional area is.

What direction does the current flow?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I am confused by the setup here. Is it a hollow cylinder? If so, what is its thickness?

I can't help answer your question until I clarify the problem. But consider these questions:

Which law applies here? (Hint it is not Ampere's law or either of Gauss' laws).

What is the flux and the rate of change of flux through the area enclosed by the the cylinder? How is that related to the induced voltage? How is that related to the current and conductivity (and length and area)?

I am a little confused about the current density (J=I/A) in this case because I am not sure what the cross sectional area is.

What direction does the current flow?

AM

Hi, the cylinder is not hollow. I tried initially to use Faraday's law of EM induction and all the equations of J I knew, such as...

grad(J) + dD/dt = 0 [where D is the displacement]
and J = -conductivity*grad(potential)

However, I just couldn't get anywhere with them.

I know the solution is J = 0.5*sigma*p*w*Bocoswt [1] [given]

which implies J = 0.5*p*sigma*dB/dt [2]

but I don't understand why equation [2] is true, I've never seen it before. The radius is a, but clearly the cross-sectional area is not relevant here. I'm sure this problem has a very simple explanation, but it escapes me!

Thanks
Denis

I'm not very convinced that Eq. (2) can really describe the currents inside the cylinder. It seems that currents are very strong at the surface of the cylinder and zero on its axis (because of the proportionality with respect to p).

In my opinion, the problem seems a classical Foucault problem. The variable axial magnetic field induces a (circular/circumferential) electric field. This field will induce circular currents (Foucault) inside the cylinder, currents whose radii depend on the magnetic field amplitude and frequency and are uniformly distributed in the volume of the cylinder. The solution must be independent of the cylinder dimensions unless the cylinder is very small and induces limitations in electrons' motion (like the foils of an AC transformer).

1. What is induced current density (J)?

Induced current density (J) is a measure of the amount of current per unit area that is generated in a material when it is subjected to a changing magnetic field. It is a vector quantity and is typically denoted by the symbol J.

2. How is induced current density (J) calculated?

The induced current density (J) can be calculated using the formula J = σE + ρv x B, where σ is the material's electrical conductivity, E is the electric field, ρ is the material's resistivity, v is the velocity of the material, and B is the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the induced current density (J)?

The induced current density (J) is affected by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the material's electrical conductivity and resistivity, and the velocity of the material. Additionally, the shape and size of the material can also impact the induced current density.

4. How does a changing magnetic field induce current density (J) in a cylinder?

A changing magnetic field induces current density (J) in a cylinder by creating an electric field within the material, which in turn causes charges to move and generate a current. This phenomenon, known as electromagnetic induction, is the basis for many technologies such as generators and transformers.

5. Can induced current density (J) be controlled?

The induced current density (J) can be controlled to some extent by manipulating the factors that affect it, such as the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, the material's properties, and the velocity of the material. However, in most cases, it is difficult to completely control the induced current density due to the complex nature of electromagnetic induction.