Modular Arithmetic Homework: 1/2*(x-4)(x-5) = 4(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7)

• Thread starter Falken_47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the problem involves finding the congruence of a modular arithmetic operation with a rational coefficient. Using the definition of multiplicative inverse, the coefficient of 1/2 is equivalent to 4 (mod 7). The same concept applies to larger denominators, such as 1/30, which would be equivalent to 4 (mod 7) using the inverse of 30. Therefore, the solution to the problem is 4(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7).
Falken_47

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I have a problem in the following modular arithmetic operation

1/2*(x-4)(x-5) = 4(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7) ("=" means congruent in this expression)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost on how the operation is valid. If the coefficient is an integer between 0 to 6 then I can easily find its inverse using euclid extended algorithm but the problem here is that the coefficient is 1/2, a rational number. Any help on this problem will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Falken_47 said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, I have a problem in the following modular arithmetic operation

1/2*(x-4)(x-5) = 4(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7) ("=" means congruent in this expression)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost on how the operation is valid. If the coefficient is an integer between 0 to 6 then I can easily find its inverse using euclid extended algorithm but the problem here is that the coefficient is 1/2, a rational number. Any help on this problem will be greatly appreciated!

4 x 2 = 1 (mod 7)

So 1/2 = 4 (mod 7)

The integers mod 7 are a field so you can always divide by any nonzero number.

Another way to think of it is that 1/2 is 1 * 2-1. What is the multiplicative inverse of 2? It's 4. So 1/2 = 4 (mod 7).

1/2= 4 (mod 7) because 4(2)= 8= 1 (mod 7) and that is, after all, the definition of "multiplicative inverse".

Oh alright i think I'm starting to get it. So if the question is 1/3*(x-4)(x-5) it is congruent to 5(x-4)(x-5) (mod 7) because 3 * 5 = 1 mod 7?

And what if the denominator is larger than the mod, say 1/30*(x-4)(x-5), should it be:
30^-1 * (x-4)(x-5)
and 30* 4 = 1 mod 7
therefore 1/30*(x-4)(x-5) = 4 * (x-4)(x-5) mod 7 ?

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with integers and their remainders when divided by a fixed integer, called the modulus. It is often represented by the notation a ≡ b (mod m), which means that a and b have the same remainder when divided by m.

2. What is the purpose of using modular arithmetic in this equation?

In this equation, modular arithmetic is used to find solutions that satisfy the given congruence relation. It allows for the reduction of complex expressions and makes calculations easier by working with remainders instead of large numbers.

3. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use basic algebraic manipulation techniques. First, you can expand the expression using the distributive property. Then, you can combine like terms and move all terms containing x to one side of the equation. Finally, you can use the properties of modular arithmetic to simplify the equation and find the value of x.

4. What are the possible values of x that satisfy this equation?

Since this equation is a congruence relation (a ≡ b (mod m)), there are infinitely many possible values of x that satisfy the given equation. However, for a particular modulus, there will be a finite number of solutions. In this case, the modulus is 7, so there will be at most 7 solutions for x.

5. Can I use modular arithmetic to solve for x in any equation?

No, modular arithmetic is only applicable to equations that involve congruence relations. It cannot be used to solve equations that do not have a modulus or a remainder. It is also important to note that not all equations involving congruence relations will have a solution.