EE still good choice for new Engineering major?

In summary, the electrical engineers interviewed said that the current state of the jobs market is still good, and that EE is a good major to select. They also said that the field is becoming more academic all the time, and that if they were choosing a career for their child, they would choose medical, bio medical, nano particle/associated chemistry, and infrastructure associated engineering.
rgp28
Given the current state of the jobs market, would the current Electrical Engineers still encourage new Engineering majors to select EE?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm a mechanical engineer, but yes, EE is still a good major to select. I wouldn't expect that to change any time for the forseeable future.

russ_watters said:
I'm a mechanical engineer, but yes, EE is still a good major to select. I wouldn't expect that to change any time for the forseeable future.

Thanks for the reply, Russ. Any other opinions out there?

I'm going back and forth between Electrical and Civil, but I'll have all prereq's finished for EE sooner than I would for CE.

Thanks again,
Rod

Electrical engineering is one of most central forms of engineering. Virtually all modern, complex products involve electrical engineering in some form. I've been an integrated circuit designer in Silicon Valley, the center of the electrical engineering universe, for the last ten years. The recession has hurt the Valley relatively less than it has hurt companies in almost any other sector of the economy. The EE industry as a whole has proven to be remarkably resilient.

To me, that's the strongest indicator that the industry is alive and well, and likely growing even in bad times. Also, the field appears to be becoming more and more academic all the time, requiring better education of its new hires than ever, but that may be simply a reflection of my particular career path.

- Warren

I guess I have to play devil's advocate. I've seen EE work racing to India and China, and I can only foresee this trend accelerating. Those of us with experience are in a better position as we have specialized knowledge, but I'd hate to be fresh from college and competing with people that work for 1/4 your rate.

If I were mentoring my child, I would want her to go into (1) medical, (2) bio medical (not bio engineering), (3) nano particle / associated chemistry, (4) infrastructure associated engineering.

- Mike

You can consider Power Engineering(EE) as infrastructure associated engineering.

theman408 said:
You can consider Power Engineering(EE) as infrastructure associated engineering.

I was just thinking today that I would check and see if I could specialize in power generation/supply/distribution or in renewable/sustainable systems of electrical energy...

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys.

Rod

Hi,

Power Generation/Transmission/Distribution is a rewarding field but life is tough...but this is true with most infrastructure engineering fields. However i must say, one must choose a career of interest and not to take decisions based on market fluctuations. At the end, one must not repent the decision! Any work or job carried out with interest is rewarding and satisfying. All the very best. :smile:

Shahvir

1. Is Electrical Engineering still a good choice for a new Engineering major?

Yes, Electrical Engineering (EE) is a highly versatile and in-demand field with a wide range of career opportunities. It involves the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, which are crucial components in modern technology and industries.

2. What are the job prospects for Electrical Engineering graduates?

The job outlook for EE graduates is very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for electrical engineers is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. Graduates can find opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power generation and distribution, manufacturing, and research and development.

3. What skills are required for a career in Electrical Engineering?

In addition to strong math and science skills, EE graduates should have a good understanding of electrical circuits, electronics, and computer programming. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and science to study Electrical Engineering?

While a solid foundation in math and science is important for studying EE, it is not the only factor that determines success in this field. With dedication and hard work, students can build their knowledge and skills in these subjects as they progress through their degree program.

5. What are the current trends in Electrical Engineering?

Some of the current trends in EE include the development of renewable energy technologies, such as solar and wind power, the Internet of Things (IoT), 5G wireless technology, and advances in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Students studying EE can expect to learn about these emerging technologies and how they can be applied in various industries.