Solving Kirchoff's Rule: Magnitude and Direction of Current in Resistor Circuit

• Thread starter emuhlay08
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram with unknown currents, and the question of the magnitude and direction of the currents in each resistor. The answer given for one of the currents is deemed unrealistic and the conversation suggests using Kirchoff's laws to solve the problem.
emuhlay08
this is a rough diagram of the picture, please note the direction of the current. that is what is throwing me off right now. The answer I get for I3 is 8.2 ohms and that seems a bit unrealistic to me.
the question is
a) what is the magnitude of the current in each resistor
b) what are the directions of the current in each resistor

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
emuhlay08 said:
____________R1=25 ohms_________
I I
---- E1=9v I
-- I
I I
________________R2=18ohm______I
I I
---- I
-- E2=12V R3=35ohms
I I
I______________________________ I

this is a rough diagram of the picture, please note the direction of the current. that is what is throwing me off right now. The answer I get for I3 is 8.2 ohms and that seems a bit unrealistic to me.
the question is
a) what is the magnitude of the current in each resistor
b) what are the directions of the current in each resistor

thanks in advance!

Well, apart from the picture being impossible to interpret, the answer simply cannot be 8.2 ohm as currents are measured in ampere.

Otherwise it should be a simple matter of applying Kirchoff's laws. Assume a current for each resistor and see where it takes you. If you write down how you arrive at your result, it will be easier to see if and where you go wrong.

Orodruin said:
Well, apart from the picture being impossible to interpret, the answer simply cannot be 8.2 ohm as currents are measured in ampere.

Otherwise it should be a simple matter of applying Kirchoff's laws. Assume a current for each resistor and see where it takes you. If you write down how you arrive at your result, it will be easier to see if and where you go wrong.

I meant Amps, sorry. Even though, it seems like a very large number. Also, I uploaded a picture of the circuit so it can be interpreted.

So, what relations have you obtained from Kirchoff's laws?

Just FYI, I deleted several posts to clean the thread up.

Orodruin said:
So, what relations have you obtained from Kirchoff's laws?

This is what I have so far

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 405
You may want to reconsider your application of the current law. Which currents go into the point and which go out?

Related to Solving Kirchoff's Rule: Magnitude and Direction of Current in Resistor Circuit

1. What is Kirchoff's rule?

Kirchoff's rule, also known as Kirchoff's laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that describe the behavior of electrical currents and voltages in a closed circuit. They were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the mid-1800s.

2. What are the two laws of Kirchoff's rule?

The two laws of Kirchoff's rule are Kirchoff's current law (KCL) and Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL). KCL states that the total current entering a node in a circuit must equal the total current leaving that node. KVL states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero.

3. How are Kirchoff's laws used in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's laws are used to analyze complex electrical circuits and determine the values of unknown currents and voltages. By applying these laws to different parts of a circuit, we can solve for the values of individual components and understand how the circuit behaves as a whole.

4. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's rule?

Kirchoff's laws are based on idealized assumptions and may not always accurately represent real-world circuits. They also assume that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning the voltages and currents remain constant. In certain situations, such as when dealing with rapidly changing currents, Kirchoff's laws may not be applicable.

5. Can Kirchoff's rule be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's laws can be applied to any type of electrical circuit, including DC and AC circuits. However, they are most commonly used in linear circuits, where the relationship between current and voltage is proportional. Non-linear circuits may require more advanced techniques for analysis.