Showing that a group isn't cyclic.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the group (Z/32Z)* is not a cyclic group. The group has order 16, but it is shown that all elements have order 8 or lower, meaning none of them can be generators. This is proven without using a calculator. The conversation also clarifies the statement that the square of an element of order 8 has order 4. Ultimately, it is concluded that the group fails to have the necessary properties to be cyclic.
djxl

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]\left( \mathbb{Z}/32\mathbb{Z}\right)^{*}[/tex] is not a cyclic group.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A little calculator magic has showed that all elements in the group have order 8, but that doesn't seem like a very educational solution :). If anyone could explain why all elements have the same order, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It cannot be that all of the elements have order 8 - the square of any element of order 8 has order 4. So, put the calculator away and think instead (or do it by hand).
What is the order of Z/32Z*? Is there an element of that order?

The order of (Z/32Z)* (the multiplicative group of units) is phi(32)=16. So if I can show that all elements have order 8 or lower, I've shown that none of them can be generators. I guess my problem is that I don't see how to do this without resorting to a calculator.

I'm not sure what you mean by the square of any element of order 8 has order 4.

djxl said:
The order of (Z/32Z)* (the multiplicative group of units) is phi(32)=16. So if I can show that all elements have order 8 or lower, I've shown that none of them can be generators. I guess my problem is that I don't see how to do this without resorting to a calculator.

I'm not sure what you mean by the square of any element of order 8 has order 4.

Think about it, if a has order 8 then a^8=1, what about a^2 though? a^8=(a^2)^4 which says that a^2 has order 4, but besides that an even simpler reason that not all elements have order 8 is that the identity certainly doesn't have order 8.

If you don't see why the square of an element of order 8 has order 4, then you need to relearn your definitions of order.

There is a unique cyclic group of order 16. You can count all the elements of all orders. You can then simply show that this group you have to play with fails to have the right properties.

Ahh, I get it now. Thanks both of you.

1. How do you prove that a group is not cyclic?

To prove that a group is not cyclic, you need to show that there is no single element that can generate all the other elements in the group by repeated multiplication. This can be done by showing that the group has elements of different orders, or by proving that the group is not isomorphic to any cyclic group.

2. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a group in which all the elements can be generated by repeatedly multiplying a single element. This element is called the generator of the group and is denoted by g. A cyclic group can be finite or infinite.

3. What are some examples of non-cyclic groups?

Some examples of non-cyclic groups include the symmetric group Sn for n ≥ 3, the dihedral group Dn for n ≥ 3, and the alternating group An for n ≥ 5. These groups have different orders and structures, making them non-cyclic.

4. Can a group be both cyclic and non-cyclic?

No, a group cannot be both cyclic and non-cyclic. This is because a group can only have one operation, and if it is cyclic, all the elements can be generated by repeated multiplication of a single element. If it is non-cyclic, there is no single element that can generate all the other elements.

5. Why is it important to show that a group is not cyclic?

Showing that a group is not cyclic is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the group. It also allows us to classify and categorize groups into different types, making it easier to study and compare them. Additionally, it can help us identify the subgroups and cosets of the group, which are important concepts in group theory.