The Probability of Choosing Chocolate Ice Cream: A Statistical Analysis

• Thread starter nmnicw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the probability of a certain number of people out of a sample of 10 having chocolate as their favorite ice-cream flavor. This can be done using the binomial probability distribution and taking the summation of the probabilities from 0 to 2. The final result is 0.0505.
nmnicw
How can I solve this?

It is known in the ice-cream industry that 38% of people have chocolate as their favourite flavour of ice-cream.

Let X be the number of people in a sample of 10 who say chocolate is their favourite ice-cream flavour.

Find P(X < 3)

Do I need to use the probability tree to list all the probability out?

Physics news on Phys.org

This certainly should NOT be in the "Calculus and Beyond" section- no Calculus required.
I would NOT use a "probability tree". Just ask youself, if I were to ask each person which flavour they prefer, what is the probability the first person would say "chocolate"? What about the second and third? That's easy- they are all the 38%= 0.38 you are given. Now, having done that, What is the probability the next 7 people, 4 though 10, would say anything other than chocolate? Again, that's easy- they are all the same. Just multiply those 10 numbers together to get the probability of exactly that result.

But that was in that particular order. To allow for say, "CNCNNNCNNN" (here, "C" indicates "said Choclolate" and "N" indicates "did not say Chocolate"), rather than "CCCNNNNNNN", as above, multiply by the number of ways of order 3 "C"s and 7 "N"s- that's a binomial coefficient.

That will give the probability that exactly 3 people say their favorite is Choclolate. Now do the same with "CCNNNNNNNN", "CNNNNNNNNN", and "NNNNNNNNNN" and add them together to get "3 or less".

You're given p = .38, n = 10, k = 0, 1, 2.
Take the summation of the binomial probability distribution from k = 0 to k = 2 and you get the value for p(X < 3)

1. How can I solve this problem efficiently?

One way to solve a problem efficiently is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you focus on one aspect at a time and prevent feeling overwhelmed. Additionally, consider using problem-solving strategies such as trial and error, brainstorming, or seeking help from others.

2. What are the steps I should take to solve this problem?

The first step to solving a problem is to clearly define and understand the problem. Then, gather all necessary information and resources. Next, brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate their feasibility. Finally, implement the chosen solution and assess its effectiveness.

3. How do I know if my solution is the best one?

Determining the best solution to a problem can be subjective and dependent on various factors. However, you can evaluate your solution by considering its efficiency, effectiveness, and potential consequences. You can also seek feedback from others and make any necessary adjustments.

4. What should I do if I encounter a roadblock while trying to solve this problem?

It is common to encounter roadblocks while solving a problem. Instead of giving up, try approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. If needed, seek help from others or do additional research to find a solution.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and persistence. Some ways to enhance these skills include constantly challenging yourself with new problems, seeking feedback and learning from mistakes, and staying organized and focused. Additionally, consider learning different problem-solving methods and techniques to expand your problem-solving toolkit.