Launching a Penny Accurately - Advice Needed

• Thread starter newtonsmac
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about creating a device to accurately launch a penny 0.0m to 10.0m using common household items and recyclables. The options of using a siege projectile launcher or compressed air are discussed, with a preference for homemade compressor. The idea of using a ramp with an adjustable spring is suggested as a simpler and cheaper alternative. The method of adjusting the spring is described.
newtonsmac
Greetings fellow smart people.

I am looking into making a device that can accurately launch a penny 0.0m to 10.0m quite accurately. I do not know whether I should a siege projectile launcher such as a catapult or trebuchet or something using compressed air. I want to try to make this out of common household stuff and recyclables but I probably will have to buy a few things from a hardware store. I don’t want it to be dangerous and I am willing to spend a lot of time and patience on it.

I myself am interested in air, but then again I have no idea how to make one without using compressed CO2 or a bike pump. I want it to be made with a home made compressor.

Trebuchet and catapult are fairly simple but aren’t that original. If you guys know of any other mechanisms that can launch a penny accurately please let me know or tell me which one I should use.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Newtonsmac.
You might want to start with something simpler and cheaper, such as a ramp with an adjustable spring.

how would you adjust the spring accurately?

Just connect the front end (for an extension spring) or the rear end (for a compression spring) to a threaded rod which protrudes through the case. An adjustment nut can then be turned to move the rod in and out. Calibration would be by trial runs, with notes taken of the position required for a particular distance.

1. How do I ensure the penny launches accurately?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to have a consistent launch method. This can be achieved by using a launcher or using your fingers to flick the penny with the same amount of force each time.

2. What angle should I launch the penny at?

The ideal angle to launch the penny at is 45 degrees. This will provide the most distance and accuracy. However, you may need to adjust the angle depending on your specific launch method and the environment you are launching in.

3. Does the weight of the penny affect its launch?

Yes, the weight of the penny can affect its launch. A heavier penny may require more force to launch accurately, while a lighter penny may need less force. It is important to test and adjust accordingly to find the optimal weight for your launch.

4. How can I increase the accuracy of my launches?

Practicing and fine-tuning your launch method is the best way to increase accuracy. Additionally, making sure the surface you are launching on is flat and smooth can also improve accuracy. You can also try using a ruler or measuring tape to ensure consistent launch distances.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when launching a penny?

Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when launching a penny. Make sure to wear protective eyewear and launch in a clear, open space. Do not aim the penny at anyone and always launch away from yourself and others. Also, be mindful of any sharp or rough edges on the penny that could cause injury.