Rearranging Formula to Find 't': A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter spritchs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses rearranging a formula to find t, specifically the formula s=ut+1/2at^2. The person seeking help must show their work and the quadratic equation is mentioned as a method to solve for t. The quadratic formula is also mentioned, and the concept of completing the square is suggested as a possible method to solve the equation.
spritchs
1. Please can you help me rearrange this formula to find t. I am finding it very difficult.

2. Rearrange formula s=ut+1/2at^2 to find 't'

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must show your work in order to get our help on the PF. What can you tell us about the quadratic equation and how it is used to solve for t in equations like the one you show?

um I know that since both side of the equation are equal anything you do to oneside you must do to the other so it stays equal while rearranging and for everything that has already been done to the first part you must do the opposite.

Last edited:
This is a quadratic equation. The easiest way to solve such an equation is to use the quadratic formula. Do you know it?

I don't sorry but after looking on the internet I think its:
ax^2+bx+c=0

No, that's the general form of a quadratic equation. The quadratic formula says that [tex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

spritchs said:
um I know that since both side of the equation are equal anything you do to oneside you must do to the other so it stays equal while rearranging and for everything that has already been done to the first part you must do the opposite.

You can solve it using what you've stated here too. Did you learn about "completing the square"?

hint: if not, do a google search on it

1. What is the purpose of rearranging a formula?

The purpose of rearranging a formula is to solve for a specific variable or to make the formula easier to understand and use in calculations.

2. How do I rearrange a formula?

To rearrange a formula, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for by moving all other terms to the other side of the equation using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Can I rearrange a formula by simply switching the positions of the variables?

No, rearranging a formula involves using mathematical operations to manipulate the equation. Simply switching the positions of the variables will not result in a correct rearrangement.

4. Is it possible to rearrange any formula?

Yes, as long as the formula follows the rules of algebra, it can be rearranged. However, some formulas may be more complex and require more steps to rearrange.

5. What are some tips for rearranging formulas successfully?

Some tips for rearranging formulas include starting with the variable you want to isolate, using the inverse operation of each term to move it to the other side of the equation, and checking your work by plugging in the values of the variables to ensure the equation is still balanced.