Conserved Charges of Stress Energy Tensor

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the relations of the conserved charges of the stress tensor, specifically the Hamiltonian and momentum components. The speaker is trying to prove the commutators [\phi_i(x),\vec{P}]=-i \nabla\phi(x) and [\pi_i(x),\vec{P}]=i \nabla \pi_i(x), with the first one being successfully proven. The second one is causing difficulty and the speaker is asking for help. They are also discussing the meaning of these relations. Another person points out a mistake in the speaker's approach and suggests using the product rule to solve the second commutator. The speaker realizes their mistake and thanks the other person for their
WarDieS
Hello, Hi There

I am trying to obtain the relations of the conserved charges of the stress tensor, it has 4, one is the hamiltonian and the other three are the momentum components.

[itex]\vec{P}=-\int d^3y \sum_i{(-\pi_i(y) \nabla \phi_i(y))}[/itex]

And i have to prove the conmutators

[itex][\phi_i(x),\vec{P}]=-i \nabla\phi(x)[/itex] and [itex][\pi_i(x),\vec{P}]=i \nabla \pi_i(x)[/itex]

I got the first one just fine

[itex][\phi_i(x),\vec{P}]=-\int d^3 y \sum_j{[\phi_i(x),\pi_j(y)]\nabla \phi_j(y)}=
-\int d^3 y \sum_j{i \delta_{ij} \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{y}) \nabla \phi_j(y)}=-i\nabla\phi_i(x) [/itex]

But the second one is driving me crazy

[itex][\pi(x),\vec{P}]=-\int d^3 y \sum_j{[\pi_i(x),\pi_j(y)]\nabla \phi_j(y)} [/itex]

That conmutator is zero, ¿what i am doing wrong? how can those don't conmute.

Also, what's the meaning of this relations

Thans for the time

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you taking the ##\phi## part out in the second case,in first commutation it works because ##\phi## will commute with other ##\phi## but in the second case it will be ##\pi## which will be taken outside because ##\pi's## will commute.Use by part in second commutation to shift the derivative on ##\pi## and then it's easy.

Yes you are right andrien, i can't believe i didnt notice it myself, many thanks!, i was just considering it as a number for not clear reasons, thanks again.

1. What are conserved charges of stress energy tensor?

Conserved charges of stress energy tensor are quantities that are conserved in a physical system, meaning they do not change over time. These charges are associated with the stress energy tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a physical system.

2. Why are conserved charges of stress energy tensor important?

Conserved charges of stress energy tensor are important because they represent fundamental physical quantities that are conserved in a system. These charges can be used to study the behavior and dynamics of a system, and they play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental laws of physics.

3. How do you calculate conserved charges of stress energy tensor?

The calculation of conserved charges of stress energy tensor involves using mathematical equations and integrals to evaluate the energy and momentum in a system. These calculations can be complex and require a deep understanding of the physical system and the stress energy tensor.

4. What are some examples of conserved charges of stress energy tensor?

Some examples of conserved charges of stress energy tensor include energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These are fundamental quantities that are conserved in a physical system and can be calculated using the stress energy tensor.

5. How are conserved charges of stress energy tensor related to conservation laws?

Conserved charges of stress energy tensor are directly related to conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. These charges represent the physical quantities that are conserved in a system, and they are used to define and understand these conservation laws.