QM limit of QFT in Schwartz

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of the Schrodinger Equation in the low-energy limit in Matthew Schwartz's QFT text. The speaker gets lost on one of the steps, specifically going from the first line (i) to the second (ii). They mention the use of the Klein-Gordon Equation to achieve the desired result, but are unsure of how it is used. The conversation ends with a mention of the interesting and nontrivial topic of the quantum mechanical limit of QFT and the lack of a position operator in the relativistic theory.
dm4b
In Matthew Schwartz's QFT text, he derives the Schrodinger Equation in the low-energy limit. I got lost on one of the steps.

First he mentions that

$$ \Psi (x) = <x| \Psi>,\tag{2.83}$$

which satisfies

$$i\partial _t\Psi(x)=i\partial_t< 0|\phi (\vec{x},t)|\Psi>=i<0|\partial_t\phi(\vec{x},t)|\Psi>.\tag{2.84}$$

That was all fine and good, but he lost me on the next part, going from the first line (i) to the second (ii).

(i)$$i<0|\partial_t\phi(\vec{x},t)|\Psi>=<0|\int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi )^3} \frac{\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}}{\sqrt{2\omega _p}}(a_pe^{-ipx}-a_{p}^{\dagger}e^{ipx})|\Psi>$$
(ii)$$=<0|\sqrt{m^2-\vec{\nabla}^2}\phi_0(\vec{x},t)|\Psi>.\tag{2.85}$$

He apparently uses the Klein-Gordon Equation:

$$\partial _{t}^{2}\phi_0=(\vec{\nabla} ^2-m^2)\phi_0$$

to get the following term

$$\sqrt{m^2-\vec{\nabla}^2}$$

in equation (ii) above, but not quite sure how. Can anyone help me out?

I realize you can expand in terms of $$p^2/m$$ and make use of $$\nabla^2e^{ipx}=-p^2e^{-ipx}$$ to pull the terms out, but I'm really interested in how he uses the KG equation to achieve the same result.

This is on page 24 for those that have the text.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the answer to this, if an admin would like to delete the OP. Didn't see a way to do that myself

Likes Demystifier
QM limit of QFT, in general, is quite an interesting and nontrivial topic, so just because you solved a technical difficulty is not a reason to not continue the discussion.

For instance, there is no position operator in the relativistic theory, but there is in the non-relativistic limit. How about that? I have my own answer, but there is no general consensus on that.

Likes bhobba and dm4b

1. What is the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz?

The QM limit of QFT in Schwartz refers to the limit in which the number of particles in a quantum field theory (QFT) approaches infinity, while the size of the system remains finite. This limit is named after the mathematician Laurent Schwartz, who first studied it in the context of quantum mechanics (QM).

2. Why is the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz important?

The QM limit of QFT in Schwartz is important because it allows us to study the behavior of quantum systems with an infinite number of particles. This is useful in understanding the properties of matter at a microscopic level, such as in the study of quantum fluids and condensed matter systems.

3. What are the mathematical techniques used to study the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz?

The QM limit of QFT in Schwartz is typically studied using techniques from functional analysis and operator theory. These include the use of spectral theory, operator algebras, and the theory of distributions.

4. What are some applications of the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz?

The QM limit of QFT in Schwartz has many applications in various fields of physics, such as in the study of quantum fluids, superconductivity, and quantum field theory itself. It also has applications in mathematics, particularly in the study of operator algebras and spectral theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz?

While the QM limit of QFT in Schwartz is a powerful tool for studying quantum systems, it does have some limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of gravity, and it is not applicable to systems with infinite energy. Additionally, the mathematical techniques used in studying this limit may be difficult to apply in certain cases.