Finding the Directional Derivative of a Function at a Given Point on a Curve

In summary, the question asks to find the rate of change of the function f(x,y,z) = cos(\pi x y) + xln(z^{2}+1) with respect to length s along the curve y=-3x, z=x^{2}-y^{2}+9, directed so that x increases, at the point (-1,3,1). The solution involves finding the velocity vector tangent to the curve, which is obtained by differentiating the parametric equations with respect to t, and then evaluating it at t=-1. By finding the unit vector in the same direction as the velocity vector and taking the dot product with the gradient of f at the given point, the rate of change of f in
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the rate of change of the function,

[tex]f(x,y,z) = cos(\pi x y) + xln(z^{2}+1),[/tex]

with respect to length [tex]s[/tex] along the curve,

[tex]y=-3x, z=x^{2}-y^{2}+9,[/tex]

directed so that x increases, at the point (-1,3,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached.

I wrote parametric equations for the curve, and threw them into a vector.

Since at the point (-1,3,1) t=-1, I evaluated the vector accordingly.

The question says "so that x increase" so I reversed the direction of the vector by multiplying it by negative 1.

After this I found a unit vector that points in the same direction as the vector described previously.

Then I found the gradient of f and evaluated it at the point (-1,3,1).

After this I dotted the two to get the rate of change of f in the desired direction.

The solution lists the answer as,

[tex]\frac{ln(2) - 16}{\sqrt{266}}[/tex]

Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• SEQ3.jpg
    SEQ3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
You want the vector tangent to the curve, which is the velocity. You have to differentiate with respect to t to get the velocity vector before setting t=-1.

vela said:
You want the vector tangent to the curve, which is the velocity. You have to differentiate with respect to t to get the velocity vector before setting t=-1.

Thank you vela, that fixed everything.

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It tells us how much the function changes when moving along a particular direction from a given point.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative can be calculated using the gradient operator and the dot product. The formula is:
Directional Derivative = ∇f · v
Where ∇f is the gradient of the function and v is the unit vector representing the direction in which the derivative is to be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important in optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of a function in a specific direction. It also helps in finding the rate of change of a function along a particular path.

4. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. It depends on the direction in which it is calculated. If the function is decreasing in that direction, the directional derivative will be negative. If the function is increasing, the directional derivative will be positive.

5. How is the directional derivative related to the partial derivatives?

The directional derivative is a generalization of the partial derivatives. The partial derivatives represent the rate of change of a function in the direction of one of the coordinate axes, while the directional derivative can be calculated in any direction in the domain of the function.