Problem involving the adjugate

• Thread starter wakko101
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding a matrix A given its adjoint, and the speaker's attempt to solve it using a 3x3 matrix and the cofactor expansion method. They mention their suspicion that there may be a formula or theorem that could help, but they are unsure of what it is. Another person suggests using the determinant of A, and provides a possible solution using the identity matrix. However, if the determinant is not given, they are unsure of what to do.
wakko101
The question I'm dealing with is this:

Suppose adj(A) =
-1 2 -4
0 -3 0
0 0 3
Find A

I was trying to figure it out backwards, by using a 3x3 matrix of variables and doing the cofactor expansion thing and then seeing if I could figure out the values of the variables, but I'm not sure that's the way to go. I suspect there is a formula or theorem out there that will help me, but I can't figure out what it is.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the determinant of A given?
If it is so you can use A*adj(A)=det(A) *identity matrix
But if it is not i don't know what to do

1. What is the adjugate of a matrix?

The adjugate of a matrix is the transpose of its cofactor matrix.

2. How is the adjugate used in solving problems?

The adjugate is used in finding the inverse of a matrix, which is important in solving systems of linear equations and other problems in mathematics and science.

3. How is the adjugate calculated?

The adjugate of a matrix can be calculated by finding the cofactors of each element, then transposing the resulting matrix.

4. Can the adjugate be used for non-square matrices?

No, the adjugate is only defined for square matrices.

5. What is the relationship between the adjugate and the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of all its eigenvalues, while the adjugate is the transpose of its cofactor matrix. This means that the determinant and adjugate are related, but not equivalent.