Maximum determinant of matrix with only 1 and -1 elements?

In summary, the problem is to find the maximum determinant of a matrix with dimensions nxn, containing only 1 and -1 elements. The person has attempted to solve this for 2x2 and 3x3 matrices, but has not been able to find a pattern or use the Leibniz Formula for Determinants. They are currently stuck on the problem with no solutions.
mvgmonteiro
1. The problem statement:
Find out the maximum determinant of a matrix nxn which have just 1 and -1 elements.

2. The attempt at a solution:
I have tried for 2x2 and 3x3 matrices and so generalizing for nxn matrices. But I can’t figure out any pattern or something like that. Also, I barely know about the Leibniz Formula for Determinants, and don’t think so that it is helpful here. Thus, I am just stucked at that problem, and don’t have any great idea so far..

Physics news on Phys.org
mvgmonteiro said:
1. The problem statement:
Find out the maximum determinant of a matrix nxn which have just 1 and -1 elements.

2. The attempt at a solution:
I have tried for 2x2 and 3x3 matrices and so generalizing for nxn matrices. But I can’t figure out any pattern or something like that. Also, I barely know about the Leibniz Formula for Determinants, and don’t think so that it is helpful here. Thus, I am just stucked at that problem, and don’t have any great idea so far..
I don't know what the Leibniz formula is in this context. But how is a determinant defined? What do you work with?

What is the maximum determinant of a matrix with only 1 and -1 elements?

The maximum determinant of a matrix with only 1 and -1 elements is always n, where n is the size of the matrix. This means that for an n x n matrix, the maximum determinant is n.

What is the significance of a matrix with a maximum determinant of 1?

A matrix with a maximum determinant of 1 is considered to be a well-conditioned matrix, meaning that it is stable and has a unique solution when used in linear equations.

Can a matrix with a maximum determinant of 1 have multiple solutions?

No, a matrix with a maximum determinant of 1 can only have one unique solution. This is because each row and column in the matrix must have an equal number of 1s and -1s, resulting in a unique solution.

How can the maximum determinant of a matrix be calculated?

The maximum determinant of a matrix can be calculated using the Hadamard Maximum Determinant Theorem, which states that the maximum determinant of an n x n matrix with only 1 and -1 elements is n if n is a power of 2. For non-power of 2 matrices, the maximum determinant can be calculated using other methods such as the Brualdi-Lotkin Bound.

Are there any real-world applications for a matrix with a maximum determinant of 1?

Yes, matrices with a maximum determinant of 1 are commonly used in signal processing, coding theory, and cryptography. They are also used in the design of experiments and in the study of combinatorics and graph theory.