Real Analysis (Cantors Diagonalisation?)

In summary, the task is to describe a set of countable functions from a given set S, which maps the natural numbers to the set {0,1,2}, and then potentially use a Cantor type argument to prove that this set is uncountable.
patata

Homework Statement

Let S be the set of all functions u: N -> {0,1,2}

Describe a set of countable functions from S

Homework Equations

We're given that v1(n) = 1, if n = 1 and 2, if n =/= 1

The function above is piecewise, except i fail with latex

The Attempt at a Solution

To begin with, I am not exactly sure what the question is asking, are we looking for all functions u that map the natural numbers to either 0,1,2 since i imagine there would be uncountably many of these? Or do i need to write each u(n) as a decimal expansion using the numbers 0,1,2? To put it plainly, I'm very confused about what the question is asking so a point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

So while i realize i haven't had a proper attempt at a solution, with a nudge in the right direction hopefully i can get on my way and ask for some assistance if/when i need it showing all relevant work I've done.

Thanks everybody!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I'll take a guess at what you are supposed to do. Each of your functions maps N to {0,1,2} so is essentially a sequence of these numbers. For example, one such function u might have u(1)=2, u(2) = 1, u(3) = 1, u(4) = 0, ... which is essentially the sequence

u = 2,1,1,0,...

I'm guessing here, but I wonder if your exercise is to use a Cantor type argument to prove that the set of such functions is uncountable.

What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of real numbers. It involves studying the concepts of limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and series.

What is Cantor's Diagonalisation?

Cantor's Diagonalisation is a method used in real analysis to prove that the real numbers are uncountable. It involves constructing a real number that is not in a given countable list of real numbers, thus showing that the list is incomplete.

Why is Cantor's Diagonalisation important in Real Analysis?

Cantor's Diagonalisation is important because it provides a rigorous proof of the uncountability of real numbers, which is a fundamental concept in real analysis. It also has important implications in other areas of mathematics, such as set theory and topology.

How is Cantor's Diagonalisation used in other areas of mathematics?

Cantor's Diagonalisation has many applications in other areas of mathematics. For example, it is used in set theory to prove that there are different sizes of infinity, and in topology to show that some sets are uncountable and therefore cannot be represented by a list.

Are there any limitations to Cantor's Diagonalisation?

While Cantor's Diagonalisation is a powerful tool in proving the uncountability of real numbers, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used to prove the uncountability of other sets, such as the set of all computable numbers. Also, it cannot be used to prove the existence of uncountable sets, only their uncountability.