Considering doing physics as 2nd major

In summary: It combines both computer science and physics in a practical and applicable way.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a second major in physics to complement a computer science degree and the potential career opportunities it may offer. The individual is currently finishing up a general physics course and is considering the extra workload and time commitment of adding a second major. Other options such as applied mathematics and computational physics are also mentioned. Ultimately, it is suggested that if the individual enjoys physics and is interested in learning more, it may be worth pursuing the second major.
Nick R
I am currently a computer science major, I am taking 300 level courses in that so I am fairly far along in it. I have recently come to believe I may need a second major in physics to do anything of interest with it (not just working on a business software application that keeps track of a bunch of meaningless numbers). With a degree in physics and in computer science I figured I should be able to do just about anything that might interest me related to engineering or computers.

I am at the point where I need to commit one way or the other because I am currently finishing up the last course in the "general physics" series of courses which touch on lots of issues without going into lots of detail (course 1 was mostly Newtonian physics, 2 was mostly classical EM, 3 so far has been mostly been propagation of light).

I read several posts on this board in which people were saying theoretical physics is often very difficult to apply, and I draw from that maybe a degree in physics would not be as good of complement to a computer science degree as I thought it might be.

Can anyone say if this would be a very useful combination or not? At this point it would take me 2 or 3 extra semesters + summer semesters with a significantly increased work load during each semester. I wonder if it would be worth it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you enjoy what you are doing in physics? If you find it interesting, and worth the extra semester with lot's of work, then I'd say go for it. If you love physics, it'll definitely pay off in the end.

Computer Science is a fairly common second major for Physics majors, so...also software-related jobs are common for physics graduates. If that's the direction you want to take your career, and it's stuff you're interested in learning anyway, it sounds like a good move.

There may be other programs worth considering like applied mathematics. My uni has an "applied computing and mathematics" program with many options like scientific computing and so forth. What's most appropriate depends on what you want to learn.

That seems like a common combination. Computer science and physics. I was at the computer science career fair a couple of months ago, and found they were looking for a lot of physics people as well in addition to their computer science degree. I'd say, go for it.

Frankly, I think it might even be a better combination that Computer Science and Math. The one I plan on going into.

Also, you may want to look into computational physics as a possible career path.

1. What are the benefits of having a second major in physics?

A second major in physics can greatly enhance your understanding of the world around you and provide you with valuable critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and data analysis.

2. Is it difficult to pursue a second major in physics?

Pursuing a second major in physics can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to work hard. However, with dedication and a strong interest in the subject, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

3. Will having a second major in physics make me more competitive in the job market?

Having a second major in physics can make you stand out to potential employers, as it demonstrates your ability to think critically, problem-solve, and analyze data. It can also make you more competitive for jobs in industries such as technology, finance, and healthcare.

4. Can I still graduate on time with a second major in physics?

It is possible to graduate on time with a second major in physics, but it will require careful planning and time management. It may also depend on the requirements of your specific university and the number of credits needed for your second major.

5. How can I balance my coursework for both majors?

Balancing coursework for two majors can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and stay organized. Make sure to communicate with your professors and advisors to create a manageable schedule and seek help if you are struggling in any courses.