Register to reply

How to calculate the Ksp

by kevinnn
Tags: None
Share this thread:
kevinnn
Apr6-14, 05:41 PM
P: 115
My lab group and I are a bit confused. We are doing a lab where we need to calculate the Ksp of calcium hydroxide in pure water and then in different concentrations of calcium chloride and potassium chloride to analyze the diverse and common ion effect. I was absent one day but my lab partner told me that the teacher said Ksp for calcium hydroxide will remain constant for the solutions of potassium chloride and calcium chloride. She wants us to make a graph where we compare the molar solubilities of the different solutions, not the Ksp. My question is how on earth can something that tells us about solubility, Ksp, remain constant when more is forced to dissolve, KCl, and less is forced to dissolve, CaCl2????? Does this mean the molar solubility calculation is really as easy as just determining the calcium ion concentration in each solution and dividing it by the total volume? Gracias!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
epenguin
Apr7-14, 10:28 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,965
Quote Quote by kevinnn View Post
My lab group and I are a bit confused. We are doing a lab where we need to calculate the Ksp of calcium hydroxide in pure water and then in different concentrations of calcium chloride and potassium chloride to analyze the diverse and common ion effect. I was absent one day but my lab partner told me that the teacher said Ksp for calcium hydroxide will remain constant for the solutions of potassium chloride and calcium chloride. She wants us to make a graph where we compare the molar solubilities of the different solutions, not the Ksp. My question is how on earth can something that tells us about solubility, Ksp, remain constant when more is forced to dissolve, KCl, and less is forced to dissolve, CaCl2????? Does this mean the molar solubility calculation is really as easy as just determining the calcium ion concentration in each solution and dividing it by the total volume? Gracias!
Tell us what you exactly measure and how. Write the equation for the solubility constant What are you asked to make a graph of? If not told what seems a good idea?

Then if doing this does not already indicate to you the answers we have a chance of helping.
Yanick
Apr7-14, 10:28 AM
P: 380
It is called a constant for a reason, because it remains constant. It will change with temperature though, pretty much everything changes with temperature, as well as with solvents and such. The numbers may also look funny if you are working at very high concentrations/ionic strengths which require the use of activities instead of molarities in equilibrium concentrations.

Assuming you performed all trials under similar conditions then, yes, you do the fairly simple calculations using the common ion effect when necessary and calculate molar solubility based on how much of the CaOH went into solution.

Register to reply