Heya Help with Electro magnitisim Question Please

• Thread starter vip_uae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electro
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total force and electric field on a +3nC charge located at (2m, 0) due to two +2nC charges located at (0, 2m) and (0, -2m). The formula used for the calculation is F = (Q1 x Q3)/ 4piE0 r^2 multiplied by Rhat, and the resulting force is a multiple of Xhat. The conversation also briefly mentions the deflection of an electron beam due to a horizontal current, and a question about two wires carrying 10kA in different directions.
vip_uae
Heya everyone could u help me with these questions please

a charge +2nC is located at (0, 2 m). Another +2 nC charge is
located at (0, -2 m). A third charge, +3 nC, is located at (2 m, 0).
Calculate the total force (in vector form) acting on charge +3nC
from both +2nC charges.

Using the result obtained in part above, calculate the electric field at
the position of the + 3nC charge due to both +2nC charges.

please guys thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
vip_uae said:
a charge +2nC is located at (0, 2 m). Another +2 nC charge is
located at (0, -2 m). A third charge, +3 nC, is located at (2 m, 0).
Calculate the total force (in vector form) acting on charge +3nC
from both +2nC charges.

Using the result obtained in part above, calculate the electric field at
the position of the + 3nC charge due to both +2nC charges.

Hi vip_uae! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help you. :smile:

well i used the normal formula of F13 = (Q1 . Q3)/ 4 pi E0 r13 multiply by Rhat 13 ... and i knw wats rhat13 and r13 that's for the first part of the question i add the F13 AND F23 to give me FTOTAL... is that right?

vip_uae said:
well i used the normal formula of F13 = (Q1 . Q3)/ 4 pi E0 r13 multiply by Rhat 13 ... and i knw wats rhat13 and r13 that's for the first part of the question i add the F13 AND F23 to give me FTOTAL... is that right?

Well, it looks ok …

but it would be more convincing if you showed us some figures. :wink:

erm … since you've got that far, what did you want help with? :smile:

its just i am getting a weired answer for the total force i am getting Zero in the end of it...

when i add F13 AND F23 = 0

and i don't understand what to they mean by VECTOR form

vip_uae said:
its just i am getting a weired answer for the total force i am getting Zero in the end of it...

when i add F13 AND F23 = 0

and i don't understand what to they mean by VECTOR form

Vector form means as a multiple of rhat, which you've done.

I don't understand how your F13 and F23 can add to zero, if you're adding them as vectors. :confused:

F13 is a multiple of the unit vector rhat13, while F23 is a multiple of rhat23.

Since rhat13 and rhat23 are not parallel, how can any combination of them add to zero?

awwwwww right sorry i actually missed out one part of it but it gave me a really small number for Xhat 9.537x10^-9

i just found somthing that if i want to have to calculate it in a vector form

F13 = Q1 X Q3 / 4 pi E0 (r13)^2 multiply by Rhat13 + (u0 X Q1 X Q3)/ 4 pi (r13)^2 Multiply [V3 [tex]\Delta[/tex](V1 [tex]\Delta[/tex] Rhat13 )]

is that formula looks right it said that if a vector form needed Fe which is Electric Force + Magnetic force = the force

Last edited:
vip_uae said:
(u0 X Q1 X Q3)/ 4 pi (r13)^2 Multiply [V3 [tex]\Delta[/tex](V1 [tex]\Delta[/tex] Rhat13 )]

Is that supposed to be a magnetic force?

Magnetic forces only act on moving charges.

These charges are stationary … so forget magnetic forces!

You're vector-adding a multiple of rhat13 to the same multiple of rhat23.

Use components … what is the resultant? :smile:

see i don't understand what you meant by Multiple of Rhat i knw r hat = r13/moduls r13

vip_uae said:
see i don't understand what you meant by Multiple of Rhat i knw r hat = r13/moduls r13

Yes, you're multiplying the vector rhat13 by (Q1 . Q3)/ 4 pi E0 r13,

and adding to it the vector rhat23 multiplied by (Q2 . Q3)/ 4 pi E0 r23 …

aren't you? :confused:

yes that's wat i am doing exactly

vip_uae said:
yes that's wat i am doing exactly

ok, so you've got a sloping-down vector plus an equal sloping-up vector …

so their sum (resultant) is … ? :smile:

ya i have got Fnet = 9.536 x 10^ -9 Xhat ... does this answer looks right?

vip_uae said:
ya i have got Fnet = 9.536 x 10^ -9 Xhat ... does this answer looks right?

I haven't done the figures, but yes it certainly is a multiple of Xhat. :smile:

Thats gr8 thanks a lot i have an another question please

when an electron beam shoots through a horizantal line in the Z direction carying 50 A .. how would the beam will deflect ... like the direction of the deflection how would it be :)

ok, but same thing … show us how far you've got!

what sort of field is produced? which direction is it in? what is the equation that relates field strength and force? :smile:

Hey tiny tim lol i found the answer some where basicly it will deflect upwards due to the way that the current is rotating ... soo o i got it straight away

vip_uae said:
Hey tiny tim lol i found the answer some where basicly it will deflect upwards due to the way that the current is rotating ... soo o i got it straight away

he-he … now you see one of the reasons why we like to see some work first! :biggrin:

hahahahahaha ohhhhhhhh i have a problem tooo :P see i have one of the questions asking me about 2 wires carying 10K A in different directions i need to see the force of one wire exerting on the other using the Motor Equation which i knw

F = L ( I upside down triangle B)

I is current L is length and B is magnetic Flux density

B = u H

H = I / 2 pi R *I guess*

should i replace each unit and see wat i can get?

oooh … I always get confused by questions about induction. :confused:

Can you start a new thread on this one, so that some other people will answer? :smile:

Awwwww lol its cool i submited ma assignment lol it was a big massive hastle hehehee

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and the magnetic fields they create. It is a fundamental force that plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter and energy.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet is created by running an electric current through a wire, which creates a magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by changing the amount of current running through the wire. This allows for control over the strength and behavior of the electromagnet.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has a wide range of practical applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and telecommunication devices. It is also used in everyday household appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, and fans.

4. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

An electromagnet is created by running an electric current through a wire, whereas a permanent magnet is made of a material that is naturally magnetic, such as iron or cobalt. Electromagnets can be turned on and off, while permanent magnets have a constant magnetic field.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as electricity, magnetism, and optics. It is also a crucial component of modern physics theories, including the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.