Optimizing Error Calculations for Coursework

In summary, when it comes to error calculations for coursework, it is recommended to use the average (mean) of multiple measurements. In order to estimate random error, it is advised to repeat measurements enough times to calculate the standard deviation. For a normally distributed set of data, about 68% of the measurements will fall within 1 standard deviation of the average. For example, if measuring a weight on a balance with 2 decimal places, the estimated error would be (+-)0.005.
blackcat
for my coursework I'm meant to do error calculations.

say i measured a distance between two things five times and got these results:

now I've got to use this distance for my calculations. would you recommend i use an average (mean)? i suppose that's a stupid question.

my teacher also says: "You would get an estimate of random error by repeating results enough times to get a standard deviation for the random error.
"

so does this mean, for my example listed above, that i would say the error is (+-) value of s.d?

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard devition is often used as an indication of the uncertainty of the measurement. You would use the average of your measurements. If the errrors are truly random, the values of a large number of measurements would be normally distributed and about 68% of the measurements would be within 1 s.d of the average.

http://www.has.vcu.edu/psy/psy101/forsyth/normal.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ok.

1) I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but say i measure a weight on a balance that measures up to 2 dp. do i say the error is (+-)0.005.

blackcat said:
1) I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but say i measure a weight on a balance that measures up to 2 dp. do i say the error is (+-)0.005.
That's what I would do :wink:

THANK YOU!

Also thanks for your help on my other thread, I got it.

blackcat said:
THANK YOU!

Also thanks for your help on my other thread, I got it.
My Pleasure :smile:

What is an error calculation?

An error calculation is a method used to determine the uncertainty or margin of error in a measurement or calculation. It takes into account the precision and accuracy of the tools or methods used to obtain the data.

Why is it important to calculate errors?

Calculating errors is important because it allows us to understand the reliability and accuracy of our data. It helps us to identify any potential flaws in our measurements or calculations and allows us to make more informed decisions based on the level of uncertainty present.

What are the types of errors that can be calculated?

There are three main types of errors that can be calculated: systematic errors, random errors, and gross errors. Systematic errors are consistent and can be identified and corrected for. Random errors are caused by chance and cannot be predicted or corrected for. Gross errors are major mistakes that can be easily identified and corrected.

How do you calculate errors?

The method for calculating errors depends on the type of error being calculated. For systematic errors, you can use calibration or correction factors. Random errors can be calculated using statistical methods such as standard deviation. Gross errors can be identified through careful data analysis and can be corrected by repeating the measurement or calculation.

What are some common sources of errors in scientific experiments?

Some common sources of errors in scientific experiments include human error, instrument error, environmental conditions, and limitations of the measuring tools. It is important to be aware of these potential sources of error and take steps to minimize their impact on the data collected.