Scale Factor Ratio: Z Value at End of Inflationary Era

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of the scale factor at the end of the inflationary era to the scale factor at the present moment. The value of this ratio is important for understanding the duration of inflation and its impact on the large scale structure and slight variances in the Cosmic Microwave Background. There seems to be a lower bound of 100 doublings for the duration of inflation, but it is difficult to determine an upper bound without more experimental evidence.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the ratio of the scale factor now to the scale factor at the end of the inflationary era?

Edit: In other words, what is the z value of the end of the inflationary era?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I've wondered about that, and whether there even is a unique prevailing estimate (with the amount of slack in the scenarios). I hope you get an answer.

marcus said:
I've wondered about that, and whether there even is a unique prevailing estimate (with the amount of slack in the scenarios). I hope you get an answer.

I'll be happy :smile: if someone gives [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] values for [itex]10^x[/itex] with [itex]a < x < b[/itex].

there's a related question, GJ, which you may know the answer to.
(I think it has a definite answer and I may even have read an estimate, but if so it has faded from my memory)

there must be a moment when the CNB (cosm. neutrino background) was released and I wonder what the redshift of that is.

it would be a number much larger than 1100 by many orders magnitude,
but nevertheless somewhat analogous to 1100 as the z for the CMB.

I wonder if anybody here knows an estimate of that z.

marcus said:
there must be a moment when the CNB (cosm. neutrino background) was released and I wonder what the redshift of that is.

Cosmological Physics by Peacock say roughly 10^10.

Red shift for the end of Inflation ~ 1025.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Inflationary_horizon_plot.svg .

Garth

Last edited by a moderator:
If inflation is to solve the flatness-oldness problems, inflation must have lasted for a minimum of "100 doublings",

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmo_04.htm

That would be 10^30 or so.

I think there may be some constraints resulting from the COBE data, but I don't know what they are.

pervect said:
If inflation is to solve the flatness-oldness problems, inflation must have lasted for a minimum of "100 doublings",

Not quite what I asked :smile: , but the answer seems reasonable according to Figure 2. from http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0305/0305179v1.pdf" on inflation. This figure shows the size of the universe (compared to now) when the Standard Hot Big Bang takes over after inflation. This is what I wanted.

This is the paper that marcus referenced in his https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=167319".

Thanks marcus, Garth, and pervect!

In a few days, I'll probably ask another question in this thread (my motivation for the first question), but, this time, I want to try and find the answer first!

George Jones said:
Not quite what I asked :smile: , but the answer seems reasonable according to Figure 2. from http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0305/0305179v1.pdf" on inflation. This figure shows the size of the universe (compared to now) when the Standard Hot Big Bang takes over after inflation. This is what I wanted.

Well, my reaction to your question and the answers was that I would and did want not only a number, but some idea of what observations gave rise to that number, some understanding of where the number came from.

Assuming that inflation is the reason we don't have a flatness-oldness problem gives at least a lower bound on how long inflation lasted. But what gives an upper bound?

I would expect that the duration (number of doublings) of inflation would have impact on the large scale structure formation, and on the observed slight variances in the CMB. But I'm not sure what assumptions are needed to work backwards from these sorts of observations to put some upper bound on how long (how many doublings) inflation lasted, or what papers might attempt this.

pervect said:
I would expect that the duration (number of doublings) of inflation ... to put some upper bound on how long (how many doublings) inflation lasted, or what papers might attempt this.

Again, this is not what I asked for in my original post.

Let [itex]a_{start}[/itex] be the scale factor at the the beginning of the inflationary era, [itex]a_{end}[/itex] be the scale factor at the the end of the inflationary era, and [itex]a_{now}[/itex] be the scale factor at the present instant.

I asked for the value of [itex]a_{now}/a_{end},[/itex] not for the value of [itex]a_{end}/a_{start},[/itex] i.e., not for the growth during inflation.

Edit: both [itex]a_{now}/a_{end}[/itex] and [itex]a_{end}/a_{start}[/itex] can read off (for two infationary models) of Lineweaver's Figure 2.

Last edited:
Well, the lower bound is still a lower bound :-) - i.e. if you need 100 doublings, during inflation, and then it expands more, you have more than 10^30.

But it makes it even harder to set an upper bound.

I'm not sure if we have a very strong experimental evidence for exactly when inflation occurred (temperature, density, etc). The good news is that if we can come up with such data, we can use the Friedmann equations (assuming we believe them) to give us the early history of the universe. Of course, we need to add in the radiation terms to get the early history.

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the scale factor ratio in the inflationary era?

The scale factor ratio, also known as the expansion rate of the universe, is a measure of how quickly the universe is expanding. In the inflationary era, this ratio was incredibly high, meaning that the universe was expanding at an extremely rapid pace.

2. How is the scale factor ratio calculated?

The scale factor ratio is calculated by taking the current size of the universe and dividing it by the size of the universe at the end of the inflationary era. This gives us a ratio that represents how much the universe has expanded since the end of the inflationary era.

3. What does the Z value represent in the scale factor ratio?

The Z value, also known as the redshift, is a measure of the wavelength of light emitted from distant objects in the universe. In the context of the scale factor ratio, the Z value represents the distance from the end of the inflationary era to the present day. A higher Z value indicates a greater distance, meaning the universe has expanded more.

4. How does the scale factor ratio impact our understanding of the early universe?

The scale factor ratio is a crucial factor in our understanding of the early universe. It helps us to determine the rate of expansion in the inflationary era, which in turn informs our understanding of the universe's history and evolution. The scale factor ratio also plays a role in theories about the origins of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory.

5. How does the scale factor ratio affect the size of the observable universe?

The scale factor ratio has a direct impact on the size of the observable universe. As the universe expands, the distance between objects increases, making it more difficult to observe them. Therefore, a larger scale factor ratio means a larger observable universe, as more distant objects become visible due to the expansion of the universe.