Inviscid flow and viscous flow

In summary: I'll be happy to help out.In summary, rotational motion is caused by shear stress that is exerted on the fluid element due to viscosity. Viscous flows are always rotational because of this shear stress. Inviscid flows are not rotational, however, because shear stress is absent.
jason.bourne
viscous flows are always rotational because of shear stress that is exerted on the fluid element due to viscosity.

what about the inviscid flows? can they be rotational ? if yes then what are the factors which makes the inviscid flows rotational?

Engineering news on Phys.org
By rotational do you mean have vorticity? If so then yes, in fact the fundamental equations can be written in terms of vorticity rather than velocity by taking the curl of the equations.

[PLAIN said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorticity][/PLAIN]
For any flow, you can write the equations of the flow in terms of vorticity rather than velocity by simply taking the curl of the flow equations that are framed in terms of velocity (may have to apply the 2nd Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to do this rigorously). In such a case you get the vorticity transport equation which is as follows in the case of incompressible (i.e. low mach number) fluids, with conservative body forces

[tex] \frac{D\omega}{Dt} = \omega \cdot \nabla u + \nu \nabla^2 \omega [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
okay fine but what is it that is making it to rotate?
like in viscous flows its the shear stress that causes the rotation of the fluid element.

Anything. Don't think of vorticity as a whirlpool in your bathtub; any time the flow turns even a little bit, it has vorticity.

viscous flows are always rotational because of the shear stress exerts a rotational moment about the center of the element .

what about the inviscid flows? what causes rotation in an inviscid flows?
shear stress is absent. The only forces acting on the fluid element are pressure force and weight. Weight acts through COG, pressure acts normal to the element surface, neither can cause rotation , then what is causing rotation in inviscid flows?

i don't think it can just rotate at its own wish. There has to be something right?

You may want to look up Helmholtz's third theorem.

When using inviscid flow, usually a point vortex is added to the model to simulate the vorticity present in an actual viscous flow (for example, the trailing edge of an airfoil). Vorticity is conserved in potential flow, so you have to introduce it somewhere in order for the flow to make sense in real problems. That sort of highlights the problem with potential flow; you can't fully model viscous phenomena with inviscid flow, and the real world is viscous.

Hey Jason,

I don't know know whether you've figured out your answer by now or not but I'll give you mine. This is a good question and here's how it works.

Consider solid body rotation of a fluid. Viscous forces are negligible but what causes the fluid particles to rotate is the pressure gradiant in the normal direction to the streamlines. There is no moment acting on the particles but each fluid particle rotates as it moves along the streamlines. I hope it makes sense if you need more help send me an email nikan4now@yahoo.com

1. What is the difference between inviscid flow and viscous flow?

Inviscid flow and viscous flow are two types of fluid flow. Inviscid flow is a type of ideal fluid flow where there is no viscosity or internal friction within the fluid. This means that the fluid particles do not exert any resistance on each other. On the other hand, viscous flow is a type of real fluid flow where there is viscosity present in the fluid, causing a resistance between fluid particles. This resistance results in a loss of energy and a decrease in fluid velocity.

2. What are some examples of inviscid flow and viscous flow?

Inviscid flow can be observed in situations where there is very low viscosity, such as air flowing over an airplane wing or water flowing through a pipe with very smooth walls. Viscous flow, on the other hand, is commonly seen in situations where there is high viscosity, such as molasses flowing through a funnel or oil flowing through an engine.

3. How does the presence of viscosity affect fluid flow?

Viscosity has a significant impact on fluid flow. Inviscid flow is considered to be ideal because it does not experience any losses due to viscosity, while viscous flow experiences a loss of energy due to internal friction. This means that viscous flow is generally slower and less efficient than inviscid flow.

4. Is it possible to have both inviscid and viscous flow in the same system?

Yes, it is possible to have both inviscid and viscous flow in the same system. In real-world situations, most fluids exhibit both types of flow to some degree. For example, air flowing over an airplane wing experiences both inviscid and viscous flow, with the majority of the flow being inviscid but with a thin layer of viscous flow near the surface of the wing.

5. How do you calculate the effects of viscosity on fluid flow?

The effects of viscosity on fluid flow can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a viscous fluid. These equations take into account the velocity, pressure, density, and viscosity of the fluid to determine the distribution of flow throughout a system.