Using integrals to prove volume of a pyramid

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up the iteration for a pyramid and simplifying it to one quarter. The values c and h are defined, with the pinnacle of the pyramid along the z axis. The correct limits for integration are given and the final formula for the volume of the pyramid is derived. However, a mistake is pointed out and the correct answer is given.
TromboneNerd
the first question i have is if i set it up the iteration right. The I've simplified to one quarter of the pyramid, so the value c is actually 1/2 the base of the whole pyramid. and h is the height of the pyramid. (the pinnacle of the pyramid is along the z axis)

[tex]0\leq z\leq -\frac{h}{c}x+h[/tex]

[tex]0\leq y\leq -\frac{c}{h}z+c[/tex]

[tex]0\leq x\leq c[/tex]

If all that is correct, then ill show my integration work and you can tell me where i went wrong. I don't know how to place lower and upper limits on integrals using Latex, so just use the limits from above.

[tex]V=4\int \int \int dydxdz[/tex]
in respect to y
[tex]=4\int \int (-\frac{c}{h} z+c)dzdx[/tex]
in respect to z
[tex]=4\int [-\frac{c}{2h} (-/frac{h}{c} x+h)^{2} +c(-\frac{h}{c} x+h)]dx[/tex]
finally in respect to x
[tex]=4(-\frac{c^{2} h}{6} +ch)[/tex]

[tex]=-\frac{2c^{2} h}{3} +ch)[/tex]
substitute in .5b for c
[tex]=-\frac{b^{2} h}{6} +\frac{bh}{2}[/tex]

this is obviously not anything close to the formula for the volume of a pyramid, and is completely non sensical. according to this, only very small values of b and h will produce a positive volume. where did i go wrong? I skipped quite a few steps for the sake of typing space, so if your not sure where i got this or that from ill show you the more detailed work where the problem might lie.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made a mistake with the last integral

Yep, you made a mistake
actually if the second term is b^2, you get the answer you need

1. How can integrals be used to prove the volume of a pyramid?

Integrals can be used to prove the volume of a pyramid by breaking down the pyramid into infinitesimally small slices and finding the volume of each slice using the formula for the volume of a prism. The sum of all these volumes will give the total volume of the pyramid.

2. What is the formula for the volume of a pyramid?

The formula for the volume of a pyramid is V = (1/3)Bh, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the pyramid.

3. Can integrals be used to find the volume of any pyramid?

Yes, integrals can be used to find the volume of any pyramid, regardless of its shape or dimensions.

4. How accurate is using integrals to prove the volume of a pyramid?

Using integrals to prove the volume of a pyramid is a very accurate method, as it takes into account the infinitesimal slices of the pyramid and sums them up to get the exact volume.

5. Are there any other ways to prove the volume of a pyramid?

Yes, there are other methods such as using geometric formulas or using methods from calculus, like finding the triple integral of the pyramid. However, using integrals is the most commonly used and accurate method.