Relationship between stress and density

In summary, there is no relationship between bending stress and the change in density of an elastic structure.
MarcGyongyosi
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to whether it is possible to calculate the difference in density due to applied (mechanical) stress on an object.

E.g.: apply a controlled force of, say, 50 N on a structure, calculate the mechanical stress in the object with sigma = M/I * z and then go on from there, using some kind of relationship between stress and density to figure out how density changes throughout the object...

Looking forward to an answer, if there is one ;)

Thank you very much!Marc

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

The compressibility of a substance is discussed here
Everything is compressible but solids and liquids are a lot lot less compressible than gases.

where?

HAha - click on the blue "here".

that link was not there when I first loaded the page.

In a nutshell, no, there is no relationship between bending stress and the change in density of an elastic structure.

I am curious as to what prompted this question in the first place.

Hi,
we are working on a problem involving stress-induced birefringence... since the dielectric constant of a substance can be put in relation with its density (Clausius-Mossotti relation) it would have been interesting to be able to link a "change in density" due to stress to a change in the dielectric constant... I guess, however, we'll have to look for another way!

But thank you very much!

Just a thought. As the compressibility of solids is so high, would it not be more likely that a dielectric material, when deformed by a force, would assume a shape which would maintain the density, ( i.e. virtually unchanged) as it changed shape? I am not into Materials Science really but it would seem a reasonable assumption.
(I pressed the 'go' button on my first post before I was ready)

Photoelasticity also uses birefringence of materials to show the distribution of stresses within the material as it is loaded.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelasticity

I think the C-M formula involves the density of a material, not the change in density. Are you saying that the dielectric constant a material isn't a constant?

@SteamKing

given birefringence and from Maxwell's eqn. with [itex]\mu[/itex]≈1 and εr=n2 I am trying to use the C-M formula to compute the refractive index given a volume change due to a force applied on the structure/object... I'll work on it and see if it fits the experimental data...

Thank you for your help!

Marc

Using the 3D tensorial form of Hooke's law involving the Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio, one can calculate the change in density of a linearly elastic solid material under prescribed loading.

1. What is the relationship between stress and density?

The relationship between stress and density is a direct proportion. This means that as the stress or force applied to a material increases, its density also increases.

2. How does stress affect the density of a material?

Stress causes the molecules in a material to become more closely packed together, resulting in an increase in density. This is because the force applied to the material causes its particles to vibrate and move closer together, making the material more compact.

3. What are some examples of materials where stress affects density?

Some examples of materials where stress affects density include solids such as metals and plastics, as well as liquids like oil or water. The density of these materials can change when subjected to different levels of stress.

4. How does density affect the strength of a material?

The relationship between stress and density also impacts the strength of a material. Generally, materials with higher densities are stronger and more resistant to stress, while materials with lower densities are weaker and more likely to deform under stress.

5. Can stress cause a decrease in density?

In some cases, stress can cause a decrease in density. This often occurs in materials that are subjected to extreme levels of stress, such as when a metal is heated and then rapidly cooled. This process, known as annealing, can cause the material's density to decrease due to changes in its molecular structure.