PDE - similarity variable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of b that satisfies an ordinary differential equation involving f(x) and \xi only. The attempt at a solution involves substituting u = (t^b)f into the given PDE and setting b = 0 or b = 1, but these values result in either a 't' term or derivatives of f in the equation. The correct approach is to let d/dx(xg(x)) = 0 and solve for b from there.
Benny

Homework Statement

[tex]
\frac{{\partial u}}{{\partial t}} = \frac{{\partial ^2 u}}{{\partial x^2 }} + 1,0 < x < \infty ,t > 0
[/tex]

Let [tex]\xi = \frac{x}{{\sqrt t }}[/tex] and write [tex]u = t^b f\left( \xi \right)[/tex]. Determine the value of b required for [tex]f\left( \xi \right)[/tex] to satisfy an ordinary differential equation involving itself and [tex]\xi [/tex] only.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just set u = (t^b)f and substituted into the PDE (using the chain rule). I obtained

[tex]
\frac{{d^2 f}}{{d\xi ^2 }} + \frac{\xi }{2}\frac{{df}}{{d\xi }} - bf\left( \xi \right) = - t^{1 - b}
[/tex]

I thought about setting b = 0 so that I could use reduction of order but then there will always be a 't' term. Setting b = 1 leaves me with a constant on the RHS which I can't get rid of. I've checked my working and the ODE I've arrived at seems to be correct. I don't know how to go any further. Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "reduction of order" to do what? You are not, at least in what you posted here, asked to solve the equationl. You are only asked to determine the value of b that will give you an ordinary differential equation in f and [itex]\xi[/itex]. If you take b= 1, the right hand side becomes -1 and you have no "t" in the equation.

If there was no f term then I'd be left with some combination of f'' and f'. I can rewrite that in the form (I*f')' = -I*t where I is an appropriate integrating factor. But like I said, the problem with that is that I'm left with a t and I also have a derivative, f'.

If I take b = 1 I can get rid of the t on the RHS. But I'm also left with some derivatives of f and I'm not sure if that is an acceptable answer.

? The problem said, "Determine the value of b required for [itex]f(\xi)[/itex] to satisfy an ordinary differential equation involving itself and [itex]\xi[/itex] only". What makes you think a differential equation shouldn't involve derivatives?

I probably took the wrong approach. I thought that I was supposed to go for something like d/dx(xg(x)) = 0. It seems right now though, thanks.

Benny said:
I probably took the wrong approach. I thought that I was supposed to go for something like d/dx(xg(x)) = 0. It seems right now though, thanks.

Hello,

I need to know how did you solve for b? Can you please let me know the procedure?

Thanks

Azad

1. What are similarity variables in PDE?

Similarity variables in PDE refer to a set of variables that are used to simplify and analyze partial differential equations. These variables are chosen in such a way that they reduce the number of independent variables and transform the PDE into a simpler form that is easier to solve.

2. How are similarity variables chosen in PDE?

Similarity variables are chosen based on the physical properties and boundary conditions of the problem being studied. They should be dimensionless and should have a clear physical interpretation to aid in the understanding of the solution.

3. What is the importance of similarity variables in PDE?

Similarity variables play a crucial role in solving PDEs as they help reduce the complexity of the equations and make them more manageable. They also allow for the transfer of solutions from one problem to another, making it easier to study a wide range of physical systems.

4. Can similarity variables be used for all types of PDEs?

Yes, similarity variables can be used for all types of PDEs. However, the choice of the variables may differ depending on the type of PDE and the specific problem being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using similarity variables in PDE?

While similarity variables are a powerful tool for solving PDEs, they do have some limitations. They may not always be able to completely reduce the complexity of the equations, and in some cases, they may not be able to provide a unique solution. Additionally, the choice of similarity variables may not always be obvious and may require some trial and error.