Doppler effect measure speed in blood cells

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the frequency shift of an ultrasound emitted at 5.0 MHz and reflected from blood moving at 0.20 m/s in an artery. The equations used to calculate the Doppler shift are the ratio of wavelengths and the ratio of speeds of the object, with additional information needed to solve numerically. There is a question about solving for the wavelength without it being given.
hellokitty

Homework Statement

A Doppler blood flow unit emits ultrasound at 5.0 {\rm MHz}.

What is the frequency shift of the ultrasound reflected from blood moving in an artery at a speed of 0.20 m/s?

What equations would I use to calculate the doppler shift? It is not in my textbook...

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe off hand that the ratio of wavelenghts is equal to the ratio of speeds of the object;

L = wavelenght
L0 = wavelenght before reflection
V = velocity of wave in medium
V0 = velocity of wave.

V0=fL0 where f is the frequency of the ultrasound emitter.

L / L0 = V / V0

I think that's all the infomation required for the solution. See if you can do it now. If not highlight the below;

L / L0 = 0.2 m/s / speed of sound ( 340 m/s) = Y

Where I'm just using Y to represent the ratio. The wave travels the same speed V in the medium of flesh (roughtly) hence;

Y = ( V/f ) / (V/f0)

Rearrage for f;

1 / [(Y*( V / f0 )) / V ] = f

However that might not be the question being asked or not, as you would require extra infomation to solve that numerically.

Haths

How do I solve for the wavelength if the wavelength is not given?

1. How does the Doppler effect measure speed in blood cells?

The Doppler effect measures speed in blood cells by using the principle that when a sound source moves towards an observer, the frequency of the sound waves increases. Conversely, when the sound source moves away from the observer, the frequency decreases. This change in frequency can be used to calculate the speed of the blood cells.

2. What is the equipment used to measure the Doppler effect in blood cells?

The equipment used to measure the Doppler effect in blood cells is a Doppler ultrasound machine. This machine emits high-frequency sound waves and then detects the echoes that bounce off of moving objects, such as blood cells. The machine then calculates the speed of the blood cells based on the change in frequency of the echoes.

3. What information can be gathered from measuring the Doppler effect in blood cells?

Measuring the Doppler effect in blood cells can provide information about the speed and direction of blood flow in the body. It can also help identify any abnormalities or blockages in the blood vessels that may be affecting the blood flow.

4. What are the benefits of using the Doppler effect to measure blood cell speed?

One of the main benefits of using the Doppler effect to measure blood cell speed is that it is a non-invasive and painless procedure. It also provides real-time results, allowing for immediate assessment of blood flow. Additionally, it can be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatments for conditions affecting blood flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Doppler effect to measure blood cell speed?

While the Doppler effect is a useful tool for measuring blood cell speed, it does have some limitations. Factors such as the angle of the ultrasound beam, the depth of the blood vessel, and the density of the tissue between the ultrasound machine and the blood vessel can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, the Doppler effect may not be able to detect slow-moving or non-moving blood cells, which may be necessary in some medical conditions.