Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
Evo said:
Rewebster asked how my arm and the move are going. Thank you for caring. :smile:

Arm hurts, I should have taken the option to cast it because I keep hurting it with only a sling.

I am beginning to realize that trauma to my back and neck are far worse than the break to my arm.
Maybe one should revisit the orthopedist, and see about a cast, and possibly have them look at back and shoulder. Perhaps ligaments/ connective tissue is damaged or perhaps some nerves have been injured.

I've temporarily given up on the move. I'm at the new place, stuff scattered everywhere, most of my stuff is still at the old place and my cat and dog are bored to tears. Dr Foofer (my cat) has decided to take revenge on me by clawing my face around 3AM every morning. Of course he pretends he's just being affectionate.

Also, there must be a spider, I am covered in bites.
Good idea to take a break from the move. Not so good about the spider. I'm sure Dr. Foofer is stressed by the move.

Does anyone know if David Deutsch is single? :tongue2:
He may very well be. His status does not show up in his bios.

Here is his website - http://www.qubit.org/people/david/David.html

New site under construction - http://www.qubit.org/people/david/

Adrian Paul is single at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Oh, well in that case, I don't mind the bites at all.

If I didn't have my fantasy life, I'd have no life at all. :biggrin:

AHHH--come on-----

you have a LIFE...

right here ...

on the Physics Forum - General discussion!

Astronuc said:
OK, but what about your arm? Will you go get another check of it? And your back and neck? If it's still bothering you on the weekend - and preventing you from sleeping and accomplishing tasks, then perhaps you could see the orthopedist on Monday or Tuesday.
I'm planning to return to the doctor.

And for itchy bites and measles, the best natural cure is to apply almost unbearably hot water to the affected area. It dissipates the histamines for a couple of hours.

rewebster said:
AHHH--come on-----

you have a LIFE...

right here ...

on the Physics Forum - General discussion!
:biggrin: Yes, this is my real life.

EnumaElish said:
And for itchy bites and measles, the best natural cure is to apply almost unbearably hot water to the affected area. It dissipates the histamines for a couple of hours.
I don't like unbearably hot water.

Evo said:
I don't like unbearably hot water.
That's why I posted "almost unbearably." Adjust to taste for hot and distaste for itch. Or use AfterBite (ammonia) for bites and hydrocortizone for measles.

Last edited:
I lifted a heavy box this morning and heard another crack and felt a bad jolt of pain (as opposed to a good jolt of pain).

I'm not sleeping.

I'm going to duct tape Foofer's little paws if he doesn't stop the nocturnal love fests. :grumpy:

And my Gaelic phrase of the week (thanks to Red Rum) Tóg go bog é :smile: He can't be human, we've been friends over a year now and he's still sane.

Last edited:
Evo said:
He can't be human, we've been friends over a year now and he's still sane.
Can imaginary friends go insane? :confused:

turbo-1 said:
Can imaginary friends go insane? :confused:
Of course they can.

Thanks. I didn't know. When I was very young, I had an imaginary friend, but he refused to talk to me and only played with the neighbor's kids.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks. I didn't know. When I was very young, I had an imaginary friend, but he refused to talk to me and only played with the neighbor's kids.
That's sad.

I didn't even have an imaginary friend to ignore me. :frown:

I wonder if my boss will notice that I've been at work all week and haven't done anything. I can't move, how can he expect me to work?

turbo-1 said:
Hey, that should go in the "Did it hurt" thread!

Evo said:
I wonder if my boss will notice that I've been at work all week and haven't done anything. I can't move, how can he expect me to work?

I just put this keyboard typing noise on a loop and no one bothers me.
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=137

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:
I just put this keyboard typing noise on a loop and no one bothers me.
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=137
:rofl: Well, with me on here, they hear a lot of typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I lifted a heavy box this morning and heard another crack and felt a bad jolt of pain (as opposed to a good jolt of pain).
You were using your broken arm in liftin the box?! Don't do that! The point is to not use it until it heals.

When are you going back to the doctor?

I'm not sleeping.
That's not good. Be careful, especially when driving. Don't operate any power or heavy equipment.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
That's not good. Be carefule, especially when driving. Don't operate any power or heavy equipment.
She shouldn't be doing those things when she's healthy and alert. That's a real down-side to fixin' her up. Up here, women are expected to run wood splitters and swing axes, if not run chain saws. That's a sure-fire way to make Evo an amputee.

I'm working on a large MPLS network (multiprotocol label switching) for an oil company and I'm falling asleep. I should have had this design to the client hours ago. I spent two hours just viewing fiber & POP drawings. :frown: Should have taken me 30 minutes.

I wan't to go home and go to sleep.

Evo said:
I'm working on a large MPLS network (multiprotocol label switching) for an oil company and I'm falling asleep. I should have had this design to the client hours ago. I spent two hours just viewing fiber & POP drawings. :frown: Should have taken me 30 minutes.
Call the client. Explain your situation, which I have had to do. When I was working on a major project, and was too tired and began making mistakes, and I was getting pressure to get the work finished and out the door, I called the customer, told him I was too tired and that it would take another day to finish. I also mentioned that, in the meantime, I was taking the rest of the day off to rest. He appreciated the honesty and was willing to wait an extra day.

Hang in there! Do what you can do. See the previous comment. Don't kill yourself.

Evo said:

do'nt put any comm'as on that drawing where the'yre not supposed to be --that oi'ls needed

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Call the client. Explain your situation, which I have had to do. When I was working on a major project, and was too tired and began making mistakes, and I was getting pressure to get the work finished and out the door, I called the customer, told him I was too tired and that it would take another day to finish. I also mentioned that, in the meantime, I was taking the rest of the day off to rest. He appreciated the honesty and was willing to wait an extra day.

I think this would especially be appreciated if you mention that you have a broken arm and it's the painkillers and lack of sleep that have you unfocused so they don't just think you're being lazy or slacking off. If they know that your reason for putting off the work is that you're concerned you'll make a critical mistake if you try to work on it while not feeling well, then they ought to understand and appreciate that you are conscientious enough about doing a good job to not just crank out crap to meet what's probably an artificial deadline anyway, while buzzed on painkillers (of course, then you HAVE to get on it first thing tomorrow after a day of catching up on rest).

OK----Evo---two weeks now since the 'move' started and and the 'arm' put it back into low gear----Is there an update or an upgrade?

rewebster said:
OK----Evo---two weeks now since the 'move' started and and the 'arm' put it back into low gear----Is there an update or an upgrade?
Whine alert!

I felt much better the day after it happened than I do now. I've been told I should start feeling better in another week. If it was just my arm it wouldn't be too bad but I hurt my back, neck and shoulder also. I do not know how those ice skaters can take those falls and get back up and skate, I'm a whimp.

The move is going at a snail's pace. I'm going to try to move more boxes later today. I'm using a couple of suitcases on wheels also. The only problem is lifting them in and out of the car. :frown:

I do not know how those ice skaters can take those falls and get back up and skate,
They are in their 20's mostly, or perhaps 30's. We older folks have to be a bit more careful. It takes me weeks to heal now, when it would take a few days - 30 years ago.

I'm a whimp.
No, you're not!

Evo said:
Whine alert!

I felt much better the day after it happened than I do now. I've been told I should start feeling better in another week. If it was just my arm it wouldn't be too bad but I hurt my back, neck and shoulder also. I do not know how those ice skaters can take those falls and get back up and skate, I'm a whimp.

The move is going at a snail's pace. I'm going to try to move more boxes later today. I'm using a couple of suitcases on wheels also. The only problem is lifting them in and out of the car. :frown:

(most of them are in their teens and twenties)

---PAY SOME PEOPLE TO HELP YOU---(that's why they invented money in the first place)

---------

astro hit it first about the age
-----------------------------
(maybe not a whimp--quark?)
-----------------------------
do I have to get the 2x4 out? (get some help)

Last edited:
I keep forgetting I'm not 25 anymore. I don't "feel" old.

I'll never forget a few years ago when I bought a new car, the salesman told me he'd programmed my radio with stations that people our age like, not that stuff that teenagers listen to. It was all easy listening. I reprogrammed with my alternative music stations. :grumpy: Why is it that when you get older people assume you listen to crappy music?

I've already had movers do the big stuff and I figured I would do the small stuff over a period of 1-2 weeks. Whenever I've had professional movers pack my small stuff they always break things. They "compensate" you financially, but a lot of these items cannot be replaced.

Last edited:
have you had 'things' broken this time?

--there are different 'qualities' of movers, too

rewebster said:
have you had 'things' broken this time?

--there are different 'qualities' of movers, too
The only thing I've broken is me. These were the top moving companies in the country. My last move from Philadelphia was the most disastrous, one guy was a complete idiot and did so much damage the first day of packing that I called and had him removed, but it was too late, I had thousands of dollars in damage, not to mention losing some very sentimentally precious items. :frown:

On a positive note, I have a lot of squirrels in my backyard here. I'm going to buy them some nuts and seeds and see if I can start a little colony on my back porch. I want to become "squirrel lady". (I REALLY need sleep)

On a positive note, I have a lot of squirrels in my backyard here. I'm going to buy them some nuts and seeds and see if I can start a little colony on my back porch. I want to become "squirrel lady".
Uhh, they can become too attached and friendly...

Evo said:
The only thing I've broken is me. These were the top moving companies in the country. My last move from Philadelphia was the most disastrous, one guy was a complete idiot and did so much damage the first day of packing that I called and had him removed, but it was too late, I had thousands of dollars in damage, not to mention losing some very sentimentally precious items. :frown:

On a positive note, I have a lot of squirrels in my backyard here. I'm going to buy them some nuts and seeds and see if I can start a little colony on my back porch. I want to become "squirrel lady". (I REALLY need sleep)

too bad about the stuff--(you still could use some help, it sounds like)

-------------
"squirrel lady"?

(oh, boy--there's a 'new' line of thought/(threads))

--that reminds me--did you email that guy yet?

---------------------------------

(you NEED a vacation)

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Uhh, they can become too attached and friendly...
They do become very friendly once they get used to you. I made friends with a squirrel when I was little. It got to the point that the squirrel would scratch at the back door to get food, then it started running into the house any time you opened the door. My mother was thrilled. :redface:

squirrels (and opossums and raccoons) cause a lot of house fires

--------make sure your roof (soffit, eaves, facia, etc.) are all in good cond. and sealed up well

Last edited:
Evo said:
They do become very friendly once they get used to you. I made friends with a squirrel when I was little. It got to the point that the squirrel would scratch at the back door to get food, then it started running into the house any time you opened the door. My mother was thrilled. :redface:
I wonder whether they make good (albeit unconventional) pets.

Or how intelligent they are.

Once a flying squirrel helped itself into our kitchen in the middle of the night. Since the kitchen has no outside door, I had to build a highway using furniture and paper rolls from the kitchen to the front door. It "intelligently" followed the highway and did not steer away although it could have easily. It was clear that it wanted to get outside, too.

rewebster said:
squirrels (and opossums and raccoons) cause a lot of house fires
I think the reputation these animals have for being highly combustible has been debunked. It's their propensity for playing with matches that is the problem.

EnumaElish said:
I wonder whether they make good (albeit unconventional) pets.

Or how intelligent they are.
There are some great videos on youtube by a guy that rehabilitates squirrels to release into the wild. Ok, maybe yards in a suburb aren't exactly the wild.

Once a flying squirrel helped itself into our kitchen in the middle of the night. Since the kitchen has no outside door, I had to build a highway using furniture and paper rolls from the kitchen to the front door. It "intelligently" followed the highway and did not steer away although it could have easily. It was clear that it wanted to get outside, too.
That reminds me of a demented cat that got into my house once. I tried making a similar tunnel but it wouldn't fall for it.

Evo said:
I think the reputation these animals have for being highly combustible has been debunked. It's their propensity for playing with matches that is the problem.

being 'highly combustible' isn't the problem-----it's that they're more prone to spontaneous combustion