Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
All of my kitchen cabinets have that brown style of bracket in them, and so did my last house. It's pretty common in today's kitchen cabinets. You're not going to find anything of better quality in a rental unit. I've never had them fall down. Then again, I put heavy dinner plates on the bottom shelves, and lighter glasses on the upper shelves. And, they shouldn't just be in the 4 corners. There should be one in front and back center (in the front, it's attached to the piece of wood between the two doors). As turbo pointed out, if they don't have the center brackets, the shelf will start to bow under weight and slip right past the brackets on the corners.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wholeheartedly agree with turbo!

I guess one needs to do careful inspection of the place.

I'm not liking those plastic clips, which are inappropriate if those are kitchen cabinets! What are they thinking out there - that all the dishes go under the counter?

Definitely go to Home Depot or equivalent and buy some quality metal clips, brackets or fasteners.

There should be one in front and back center (in the front, it's attached to the piece of wood between the two doors). As turbo pointed out, if they don't have the center brackets, the shelf will start to bow under weight and slip right past the brackets on the corners.
Not necessarily. We had old cabinets with a center post, but the replacement cabinets don't have the center post. If the load is heavy, then it's best to have a metal bracket fastened to the back of the cabinet. The cabinets have metal pins/clips.

Last edited:
Moonie has a good point about unsupported spans of shelves allowing bowing if the shelves are long and unsupported at their centers. Another really crappy technique is to allow the use of these little clips inserted into vertical "boards" forming the outer walls of free-standing cabinets and when the weight of the stuff put on those shelves starts to load the vertical walls, the nice heavy shelves and the slippery plastic "supports" conspire to splay the walls of those cabinets and allow the shelves to collapse.

Last edited:
Evo--did you get totally moved yet?

m ove d = d evo m

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hey did I mention I found a feather that might belong to that hawk?
Picture?

When my wife and I remodeled the kitchen, we bought modular cabinets with steel pins like the one shown. I would have preferred built in like the ones I removed, but that would have taken a long time, and we really needed a functioning kitchen.

It's hard to tell what the 'shelf' problem was so far---pins? warping shelves? weak sides pushing out? (or too much weight?)---some combination of the above probably

I saw a cabinet 'system' once that had rabbited slots to slide the shelves in, but shelf rigidity is equally important

It was cheap plastic pins that weren't made for use for heavy shelves. I noticed that on other shelves that have these pins, a lot are bent and near the point of snapping like these did. I didn't even have much on the shelves yet where the pins broke. All of the pins need to be replaced.

If the 'wall' side of where the pins fit in is even slightly rounded out----you may still have problems even with 'new' pins

If they're particle board shelves, Evo, and use those pins that Turbo is suggesting, you should pilot hole the shelves first for a better connection--

------------------

watch your fingers if you use an electric drill

Last edited:
The biting bugs have returned with a vengeance. Apparently they've attacked the Fruit Bat and now he won't come into the bedroom, he just stands in the doorway. I set off a flea bomb yesterday in case it's fleas, but I've never seen flea bites like this.

Red Rum has also offered to come to my aid as you can see in the attached picture of him.

Attachments

• Hurling.jpg
    Hurling.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 316
Fleas?-----so...the spider theory/hypothesis is no longer valid?

how many rooms have carpet?

rewebster said:
Fleas?-----so...the spider theory/hypothesis is no longer valid?
No, I'm just trying everything.

how many rooms have carpet?
Bedroom, living room and hallways, the rest are slate-like tile.

Fleas like carpeting more than hardwood/tile floors---for better elimination of the FLEAS---you may have to bomb the whole place--or else they'll just migrate back in

(----maybe they're ghost spider bites)

I sprayed the rest of the carpet with flea spray. I hope whatever man eating insect is attacking will succumb to all the poisons before we do. :frown:

Evo said:
I sprayed the rest of the carpet with flea spray. I hope whatever man eating insect is attacking will succumb to all the poisons before we do. :frown:

woman eating---WOMAN EATING insects

some insects are gender specific for biting

Ooooh, if I get my webcam connected, I can take pictures of the bites!

I'm going to have to toss the poor Fruit Bat into the tub tonight and give him a good scrubdown. Last night was the first night since he was a baby that he hasn't slept with me, I really cannot get him to enter the bedroom anymore. Smart little dog, he's figured out that the bugs are showing up in the middle of the night. Amazingly my cat has not been attacked.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/32/Fleabite.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that an allergic reaction to fleabites?

I've had flea bites before and they were nothing more than tiny flat pink pinpoints.

A body regenerates every seven years---how many regenerations have you had since that other time?

(no--not a allergic reaction--just a normal bite reaction for some people--is that what yours look like?)

Yes, but bed bug bites look the same.

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/bedbug/bites.jpg

those are AUSTRALIAN bedbugs----

banner2.gif

(those don't have that little white area you mentioned---like in the photo I posted --has them)

(I see you're back up to 5000 posts)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
[PLAIN]http://medent.usyd.edu.au/banner2.gif[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well one could try a flea and tick collar for Fruit Bat, but it's interesting that Dr. Foofer is not affected.

Also, there are insect repellants, including some natural ones that one could try at bedtime.

Do the neighbors have a similar problem?

What can I use to stop the itching? I bought some cortisone cream and it has zero effect.

lye soap or tequila

The tequila I'm fine with, but I'm not drinking lye soap.

Evo said:
The tequila I'm fine with, but I'm not drinking lye soap.

maybe try the salt and lime with it, too

----------------

did you get the crusty stuff off of your crystal?

(we'd like clean glasses for the home warming party--and, oh, yeah--and no bug spray residue either)

Last edited:
I tried CLR and it didn't work, I'm going to try the dangerous stuff next.

I noticed that my expensive 24% lead crystal glasses are fine, the cheaper 24% lead crystal has the cloudy marks. Obviously a quality issue.

We'll use paper cups, I'm not letting PF members drink out of glasses that cost me $150 a piece. :devil:

You'll have to bring your own hazmat suit.

DIG OUT THAT CAMERA-----

--I want to see a photo of the Cambridge (if that is what they are)

rewebster said:
DIG OUT THAT CAMERA-----

--I want to see a photo of the Cambridge (if that is what they are)
Cambridge?

No, I have some Waterford, some Atlantis.

Astronuc said:
Well one could try a flea and tick collar for Fruit Bat, but it's interesting that Dr. Foofer is not affected.
Perhaps we should put the flea and tick collar on Evo. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Perhaps we should put the flea and tick collar on Evo. :rolleyes:
Hmm...a black one with silver studs? :smile:

Actually, I'd be looking for a bed-bug collar.