Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
I was thinking between adult or juvenile, i.e. 2 nd yr, before the adult plummage develops. Then there is the matter of sexual dimorphism which adds to possible variations.

On the other hand, the red-tailed is the most common hawk, is about the right size, and has many variations. But all white underneath and grey on top is a stretch.

Now the Gyrfalcon has a white variation, but they tend to be further north in Canada, and are more suited to cliff areas.

I checked my National Audubon Society Pocket Guide - North American Birds of Prey, and none of the large hawks have all white underneath and grey on top, and only the unmentionable species is closest to that description.

Can Kurdt sell me one of his GOOBF cards? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, Astronuc, she can't ban me, so I can always sneak you back in through the kitchen if she bans you (you'll have to put a hair net on that beard though :biggrin:).

Evo, you really need to get images if you want IDs. I personally don't think that a white-phase hawk or a juvenile is a stretch. One day, my buddy and I (the chief of the Maine Warden Service) were returning from a dump run, and we saw a big bird in the road. I corralled and protected the bird while he ran home and got some heavy leather gloves so I could trap the hawk's wings against its body and lug the bird back into the woods without getting my hands chewed up. The bird was a fledgling broad-winged hawk and though it did not look exactly like its parents, it was probably larger and more massive than them, since it had spent all of its life in the nest getting bulked up by the parents. Raptors have individual variations and they also have seasonal variations and age-related variations.

Edit: Goshawk, goshawk, goshawk!:eek: Save me, Moonie!

turbo-1 said:
Edit: Goshawk, goshawk, goshawk!:eek: Save me, Moonie!

Hmm...I think I'm going to need to implement a toll at the kitchen door. A jar of habanero sauce should be a sufficient price for re-entry. :biggrin:

you're a brave soul there turbo---I was going to do that but I think Evo got's one of her eyes on me already (like I'm one of the biting bugs on her arm and she's ready to swat)

Moonbear said:
Hmm...I think I'm going to need to implement a toll at the kitchen door. A jar of habanero sauce should be a sufficient price for re-entry. :biggrin:
Maybe I can do something better. What would you say to pepper chunks dipped in chocolate? That ought to make me pretty much bulletproof on this forum! Take your time...

rewebster said:
you're a brave soul there turbo---I was going to do that but I think Evo got's one of her eyes on me already (like I'm one of the biting bugs on her arm and she's ready to swat)
Do not taunt the Evo, especially when the Evo is a little "tweaked up". "It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again". Not suggesting that she is harsh or anything. :rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
Maybe I can do something better. What would you say to pepper chunks dipped in chocolate? That ought to make me pretty much bulletproof on this forum! Take your time...

:rolleyes: How about the pepper chunks AND the chocolate, and I can dip them myself? :rolleyes:

turbo-1 said:
Do not taunt the Evo, especially when the Evo is a little "tweaked up". "It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again". Not suggesting that she is harsh or anything. :rolleyes:

oh-oh---and I have nothing (nada) to offer (like food) either!---

rewebster said:
oh-oh---and I have nothing (nada) to offer (like food) either!---
You don't have an emergency stash of chocolate?!

You better do a quick search of GD and figure out the preferred chocolate.

turbo-1 said:

Quid pro quo, Clarice. Quid pro quo.

Moonbear said:
Don't worry, Astronuc, she can't ban me, so I can always sneak you back in through the kitchen if she bans you (you'll have to put a hair net on that beard though :biggrin:).
Thanks, Moonbear.

I guess I should have prefaced my post with a comment that I'm not try to ruffle her feathers ( :biggrin: ), well at least not deliberately. :rolleyes:

I share the frustration in not finding suitable pictures of birds - and I can't remember the name/site of the local group which has an on-line gallery of bird pictures. Arggghhh! I know they have images of birds of prey.

(I would never---ever (email)--myheXart---unless I had part of my brain cut out and served for a snack)---just as a Halloween preparation treat coming up soon

I don't know if it would go over as good as chocolate though

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Evo, I found your hawk. It's NOT a Goshawk? It was an immature light morph Ferruginous hawk. Look at the 4th pic down.

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/Infocenter/i3480id.html
Possibly, although mine would have to be an odd mutation. Actually, I think it could be a light morph Krider's Red tail.

Red Tails have so many color variations that even experts can't always identify them. Mine had a splendid rust colored tail. I might have spotted a rare mutation due to the solid white bar going up the middle front of the birds face,, according to one sight I found, that I can't find now.

Here's some about them.

Red-tails are large, stocky, broad-winged birds that vary greatly in color. Typical adult birds average 19 to 25 inches (48 to 63.5 cm) in length with wingspans approaching 4.5 feet (1.7 m). There are two color phases, a "normal" or light phase and a dark phase. Many variations exist between the light and dark phases. The red-tailed hawk exhibits more variations in color than any other hawk in North America. Even experts sometimes find it difficult to identify the species. In any color phase, the presence of a red tail, especially a brick-red one, is a good field mark for identification of this species.

http://www.northern.edu/natsource/BIRDS/Redtai1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
My original comment.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1475541&postcount=212

and may I emphasize - "There are variations of this bird."

I hope this doesn't get me on Evo's endangered species list. :biggrin:
I thought turbo had brought up the red tail.

If only a red tail has a red tail and it can be so oddly colored and marked as to defy identification, that's got to be it. I didn't realize it was one-of-a-kind. I hope it returns and I can get a picture of it. There are no pictures or descriptions anywhere of a bird with this set of features.

The main reason I had ruled out the red tail is that the head/beak shape is wrong, but perhaps that is also an optional feature?

Last edited:
Evo said:
I thought turbo had brought up the red tail.

If only a red tail has a red tail and it can be so oddly colored and marked as to defy identification, that's got to be it. I didn't realize it was one-of-a-kind. I hope it returns and I can get a picture of it. There are no pictures or descriptions anywhere of a bird with this set of features.

The main reason I had ruled out the red tail is that the head/beak shape is wrong, but perhaps that is also an optional feature?
It would be great if you could get a picture. They tend to be territorial, and if there are plenty of squirrels and rabbits in the area, they'll hang around.

It was the charcoal grey and white underneath that made me think of Goshawk, and also the size.

There may be slight variations in beak and head shape, but those aren't really options. I think those are features that distinguish buteos (e.g. red-tailed hawk) from accipiters (e.g. goshawk).

Refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Goshawk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteo

Can you find a picture of what you remember of the head or beak?

If it was 2 ft or more, then perhaps it was a female.

I'm laughing at Evo's recently changed signature. :biggrin:

Well, this is migration period and that bird is probably in OK by now on its way to Texas for the winter.

There is a higher probability that it is a buteo, and that could mean more likely a red-tailed or ferruginous hawk, but the grey on top is the complication. In the back of my mind, I've been trying to remember something about cross-breeding among species, which can complicated identity. Some buteos do cross breed, and I found site that does mention that -

Ferrugenous x Redtail Hawks - http://www.shortwingfalconry.co.uk/hawks/ferrutail.asp
One of the few natural Hawk species crosses to occur in the wild, the FerruginousXRedtail is something we have been working on for a number of years.

Here is some more information and pictures -
http://sdakotabirds.com/species/ferruginous_hawk_info.htm
http://sdakotabirds.com/species/red_tailed_hawk_info.htm

For more species - http://sdakotabirds.com/species_main.htm

Some nice pics - http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/FEHA.html
http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/RTHA.html
Schomaker photographs birds using a Nikon D2X with 200-400 f/4 AF-S VR and 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR lenses with TC-14E and TC-17E teleconverters

Apparently another very unusual thing is the fact that I was so close to the bird and that due to the drop off to the trees below he wasn't very much above eye level with me. Most of the pictures I've seen suffer from distance and lack a good frontal view of the bird. I could just kick myself for not having a camera around.

Evo said:
Apparently another very unusual thing is the fact that I was so close to the bird and that due to the drop off to the trees below he wasn't very much above eye level with me. Most of the pictures I've seen suffer from distance and lack a good frontal view of the bird. I could just kick myself for not having a camera around.
Ummm - whatever happened to that rather expensive camera that you were intending to forward to someone overseas? :umm:

Astronuc said:
Ummm - whatever happened to that rather expensive camera that you were intending to forward to someone overseas? :umm:
Still packed in a box in my dining room. I'm assuming it doesn't have batteries, and I only have some D cells.

Moonbear said:
I'm laughing at Evo's recently changed signature. :biggrin:
You think she's trying to make a point? :biggrin:

Evo said:
It's NOT a goshawk!
and I guess she's not going to let me forget it.

Last edited:
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/1196/hawkonnestwv3.jpg

Description - "completely snow white except for the wings, back and the sides and back of the head, which are charcoal grey." Unfortunately, we cannot see the underside of the tail.

And I think rewebster is looking for a job as Evo's personal assistant.

Astronuc said:
And I think rewebster is looking for a job as Evo's personal assistant.

funny!---that's one 'job title' that's never been suggested to me---Evo's PA---

(I was thinking that camera would be great for "it's" next appearance)

Six weeks now---We need another update on the move (and unpacking), the arm, back, and a new animal for the upcoming week

Still moving at a snail's pace. I actually have one picture up now. No clue where to put anything. I find mysef running in circles looking for things I know I put away, but can't remember where.

I tried moving a small tv yesterday. Mistake. Fortunately I got it back onto the table without dropping it.

I don't have any wood for the fireplace, but I can see pieces down near the creek. I'm considering crawling down there, but will I be able to climb back up and over the rocks carrying wood in my one good arm?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Oops, please, don't. Creeks are things in which one can fall into.

Evo said:
Still moving at a snail's pace. I actually have one picture up now. No clue where to put anything. I find mysef running in circles looking for things I know I put away, but can't remember where.

I tried moving a small tv yesterday. Mistake. Fortunately I got it back onto the table without dropping it.

I don't have any wood for the fireplace, but I can see pieces down near the creek. I'm considering crawling down there, but will I be able to climb back up and over the rocks carrying wood in my one good arm?

No! Not a good idea! I forbid you! Find someone expendable. :biggrin:

Evo said:

Why don't you get one of those "rent-a-husband" for a couple days?

did you get rid of the fleas?

either that, or you were rolling around in the grass and got chiggers--were the bites under the strap/belt/elastic (latex) areas?----they love tight areas--that's where they stop and burrow in

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=chiggers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Last edited:
No, but I killed a large spider and the bites stopped.

maybe the spider had chiggers and gave them to you

rewebster said:
maybe the spider had chiggers and gave them to you

Great, now we'll have a week of her signature reading, "It's NOT chiggers!" :biggrin: