Absolute Convergence of Series with (-1)^n and 1/ln(n+1) Terms

• Thread starter miglo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
It may be helpful.In summary, using the absolute convergence test and nth term test, it can be shown that the series \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln(n+1)} converges absolutely. However, the book claims that it only converges conditionally. To prove this, other tests such as the comparison test or integral test may be used. Additionally, the alternating series test may also be helpful in showing convergence.
miglo

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{\ln(n+1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

absolute convergence test
nth term test/divergence test

The Attempt at a Solution

so the absolute convergence test says that if the absolute value of the series converges then the original series converges absolutely
so with the series i have, in absolute value is [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\ln(n+1)}[/tex]
then using the nth term test/divergence test the sequence [itex]a_n=\frac{1}{\ln(n+1)}[/itex] goes to zero as n goes to infinity therefore the series converges, so i have absolute convergence
but my book says that it only converges conditionally, what am i doing wrong? or is the book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The nth term test can only show you that a series diverges. It can't prove it converges. I'd suggest you try a comparison test or an integral test to show 1/ln(n+1) diverges.

oohhh right, its been awhile for me since I've done problems on series
cant believe i forgot how the nth term test works, thanks!

Also, try the alternating series test.

1. What is a "Quick question on a series"?

A "Quick question on a series" is a type of inquiry that involves asking a specific question about a series of data, experiments, or research findings. It is typically used to gather information or clarify a specific aspect of a larger study or project.

2. How is a "Quick question on a series" different from a regular question?

A "Quick question on a series" is more focused and specific compared to a regular question. It is usually asked in the context of a larger body of work or study and is designed to gather targeted information or seek clarification on a specific aspect of the series.

3. Why are "Quick questions on a series" important in scientific research?

"Quick questions on a series" are important in scientific research because they allow for a deeper understanding of the data or findings being studied. They can also help to identify patterns or trends within a series, which can lead to further insights and discoveries.

4. How should I formulate a "Quick question on a series" in my research?

To formulate a "Quick question on a series" in your research, start by identifying the specific aspect of the series that you want to inquire about. Then, phrase your question in a clear, concise, and specific manner. It should be focused on gathering information or clarification on a particular aspect of the series.

5. Can "Quick questions on a series" be used in any field of science?

Yes, "Quick questions on a series" can be used in any field of science. They are a useful tool for gathering targeted information and gaining a deeper understanding of data or research findings, regardless of the specific area of study.