Can a Program Change Computer Brightness?

• Thread starter AllenHe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brightness
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a program to change the brightness of a computer's monitor, specifically on a Windows XP platform using C++. The conversation also touches on the usefulness of learning C++ and its capabilities for command line and graphical interface programs. It is mentioned that C++ has GUI toolkits and command lines are not considered useless. The conversation concludes with the idea that it is possible to duplicate the brightness function in games and video card software.
AllenHe
is it possible to create a program which can change the brightness of the computer?

Technology news on Phys.org
No idea what you mean by "brightness of the computer", please elaborate. Monitor brightness?

And I will spare you and everyone else all puns that I can think of.

AllenHe said:
is it possible to create a program which can change the brightness of the computer?

What platform are you talking about? Windows, Linux, Unix, Other?

em.. Windows XP.using C++
yea, I'm talking about the brightness of the monitor.using C++

Is it good to learn C++ before learning Java?
cause programs created using C++ are command line interface, but not graphical interface.and I think that it's useless nowdays.

AllenHe said:
cause programs created using C++ are command line interface, but not graphical interface.and I think that it's useless nowdays.

C++ has a variety of GUI toolkits, i.e. C++ programs are not limited to running from a terminal.

Command lines are anything but useless. There are many, many tasks that are far easier using the command line than doing them through a GUI.

Borek said:
And I will spare you and everyone else all puns that I can think of.
Aw, heck:frown:

AllenHe said:
Since games can do this in direct x (full screen mode), I would assume it's possible to duplicate this function. The video card software can also adjust brightness of the desktop, but I'm not sure if that's related to direct x or not.

1. What is the "Programme for brightness"?

The "Programme for brightness" is a scientific program designed to study and understand the mechanisms behind the perception and measurement of brightness in various environments and scenarios.

2. What is the goal of the "Programme for brightness"?

The goal of the "Programme for brightness" is to advance our understanding of how brightness is perceived and measured, and to use this knowledge to develop new technologies and techniques for improving visual experiences and enhancing visual communication.

3. Who is involved in the "Programme for brightness"?

The "Programme for brightness" involves a team of multidisciplinary scientists, including physicists, psychologists, engineers, and computer scientists, who collaborate to conduct research and develop applications related to brightness.

4. What are some potential applications of the "Programme for brightness"?

Some potential applications of the "Programme for brightness" include improving the brightness and clarity of displays and screens, developing better lighting systems for indoor and outdoor environments, and enhancing the visibility and effectiveness of visual communication methods such as charts, graphs, and diagrams.

5. How can I get involved in the "Programme for brightness"?

If you are interested in contributing to the "Programme for brightness", you can reach out to the team or follow their publications and updates. You can also conduct your own research in the field of brightness and share your findings with the scientific community.