Studying in Ireland: Mary Immaculate College & UL

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the speaker will be studying in Ireland at Mary Immaculate College in Limerick and has the opportunity to take a class in Abstract Algebra and an intro class to speaking Irish. They are interested in learning the language for cultural reasons and are curious about the differences between math classes in Ireland and the US. The speaker is encouraged to reach out to the school or other students for more specific insights.
mgiddy911
Hey All, its been a while since I've posted on here, mainly due to my laptop having had a bad run in with some water...

regardless, Next semester I'll be studying in Ireland at Mary Immaculate College in Limerick. I'm mainly taking humanities classes but have the opportunity to take a class in Abstract Algebra.

I also can take an intro class to speaking Irish (Gaelic). I'd like to learn the language not as a practicality but simply because I'm interested in the culture.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? How do math classes in Ireland compare to those in the states. Also note that Mary I is sort of what we (US) would consider the school of education for University of Limerick. Thus, their Abstract Algebra course is their highest maths class.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I'm glad to hear that you will be studying at Mary Immaculate College in Limerick next semester. Ireland is a beautiful country with a rich culture, and I'm sure you will have a great experience there.

As for your question about math classes in Ireland, I can't speak specifically about Mary I, but in general, I think the approach to math education is quite similar in both the US and Ireland. Abstract Algebra is a fundamental subject in mathematics, and I'm sure you will have a great experience learning it in Ireland.

As for the Irish language, I think it's great that you are interested in learning it. Languages are a wonderful way to understand and appreciate a culture better. I don't have personal experience with the Irish language, but I've heard that it can be challenging for non-native speakers. However, I'm sure with dedication and practice, you will be able to pick it up.

I wish you all the best for your studies in Ireland and hope you have a fantastic time there. If you have any specific questions about math classes or the language, I would suggest reaching out to the school or other students who have studied there before. They would be able to give you more specific insights.

Best of luck!

I am always excited to hear about people studying abroad and immersing themselves in different cultures. It sounds like you have a great opportunity to not only learn about humanities and mathematics, but also to experience the unique Irish culture through the language and education system.

I cannot speak specifically about the math classes at Mary Immaculate College and University of Limerick, but I do know that Ireland has a strong reputation for its education system and universities. In general, math classes in different countries may have slight variations in curriculum and teaching methods, but the core concepts and principles remain the same. So, I would encourage you to approach the Abstract Algebra class with an open mind and embrace any differences you may encounter.

As for learning Irish, I think it is a fantastic idea. Language is a key aspect of culture, and by learning Irish, you will not only gain a deeper understanding of the culture, but also show respect and appreciation for it. Plus, it's always beneficial to be bilingual or multilingual in today's globalized world.

I wish you all the best in your studies in Ireland and hope you have a wonderful experience. Remember to keep an open mind, immerse yourself in the culture, and take advantage of all the opportunities that come your way. Good luck!

1. What are the admission requirements for Mary Immaculate College and UL?

The admission requirements for Mary Immaculate College and UL vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, international students are required to have completed secondary education with good grades and meet English language proficiency requirements. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT.

2. How much does it cost to study at Mary Immaculate College and UL?

The tuition fees for Mary Immaculate College and UL also vary depending on the program and level of study. On average, undergraduate international students can expect to pay between €10,000-€20,000 per year, while graduate students can expect to pay between €12,000-€25,000 per year. It is important to also consider additional expenses such as housing, food, and transportation.

3. What types of programs are offered at Mary Immaculate College and UL?

Mary Immaculate College and UL offer a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs in areas such as humanities, social sciences, education, business, and science. Some of the popular programs include Education, Business, Psychology, and Arts. They also offer joint programs and opportunities for international students to study abroad.

4. Are scholarships available for international students at Mary Immaculate College and UL?

Yes, both Mary Immaculate College and UL offer scholarships and financial aid for international students, although they are limited and highly competitive. These scholarships are based on academic merit and may also consider financial need. It is important to research and apply for scholarships well in advance of the application deadline.

5. What is campus life like at Mary Immaculate College and UL?

Both Mary Immaculate College and UL have a vibrant and diverse campus life, with a range of clubs, societies, and sports teams for students to get involved in. They also offer on-campus accommodation and have a variety of dining options. The campuses are located in lively college towns with plenty of cultural and social activities, making it a great experience for international students.