HelpGiven a common intersection point, create 3 different planes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding three different planes that intersect at a common point (3, 4, 5). The attempted solution involves using Cramer's rule to find the determinant of the system of equations, but the person is stuck and unsure how to proceed. Another person suggests using simple equations such as z=5, y=4, and x=3 to represent the planes. The original person asks if they can still use Cramer's rule to justify the intersection point, and the other person clarifies that the determinant would be 1 in this case.
silentfire

Homework Statement

Given a common intersection point (3,4,5), find 3 different planes.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is let

a1x+a2y+a3z=a
b1x+b2y+b3z=b
c1x+c2y+c3z=c

3=Dx/D 4=Dy/D 5=Dz/D

I set D=2, therefore Dx=6 Dy=8 Dz=10,
I was stuck then, no matter how I did I just got a bunch of unknown.
This question is supposed to find any 3 linear equations(aka 3 planes) that satisfy the intersection point.

Well, who doesn't know how to find the intersecting point using Cramer's rule...

P/S: This question comes up in my calculus 3 question, and I have not taken any algebra course yet, so I only know the condition for Cramer's rule for a common intersection point to take place which is D not equal to 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want 3 different planes that intersect at (3,4,5), why not just use z=5, y=4, and x=3?

Thanks a lot dustin for your reply.

If i want to justify that this is indeed the intersection point of the 3 different planes you mentioned, can I apply Cramer's rule and then do the dot and cross products with the normal vectors of the 3 planes. If the determinant is indeed not equal to 0, then the intersection point is justified?

Well if we use those equations then are we would have x+0y+0z=3; 0x+y+0z=4; 0x+0y+z=5. Which would make our determinant 1.

What is an intersection point?

An intersection point is a point where two or more lines, surfaces, or planes meet.

How can three different planes be created from a common intersection point?

By using the common intersection point as a reference, three planes can be created by drawing three non-collinear lines through the point. These lines will intersect at different points, creating three distinct planes.

What is the significance of a common intersection point in creating planes?

A common intersection point allows for the creation of three planes that are all interconnected. This allows for the study and analysis of different perspectives and relationships between the planes.

How can the orientation of the planes be determined from a common intersection point?

The orientation of the planes can be determined by the angles formed between the intersecting lines at the common intersection point. These angles can provide information about the relationships between the planes.

Can more than three planes be created from a common intersection point?

Yes, more than three planes can be created by drawing additional non-collinear lines through the common intersection point. However, for the sake of simplicity and understanding, three planes are typically used in this scenario.