Helicity interactions of the Z0

In summary, the Z0 is a linear combination of W0 and B0 bosons, so unlike the charged current interaction it can interact with both handednesses.
bayners123
The Z0 is a linear combination of W0 and B0 bosons, so unlike the charged current interaction it can interact with both handednesses (is that a word). In the search to quantify this mixing, people measured the cross section for muon (anti)neutrinos to scatter off electrons. This is a reaction that can only happen via neutral currents.

Consider the neutrino case. It's LH, because all neutrinos are. The electrons are an equal mix of RH and LH states. If you look at the interaction, it's proportional to the following:

[tex] \bar{\nu} \left( g_R \frac{(1-\gamma^5)}{2} + g_L \frac{(1+\gamma^5)}{2} \right) e [/tex]

Now according to my book, in the final C.S. these pick up factors according to spin rotation matrices:

[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}\sigma}{\mathrm{d}y} \propto g_L^2 (1-y)^2 + g_R^2 [/tex]

Fine.

However, if the neutrino is LH (so appears in this vertex in the same way as a RH antineutrino) then why is there a RH antineutrino x RH electron term? In other words:

[tex] \bar{\nu}_{RH} [ g_R P_R + g_L P_L ] (e_{RH} + e_{LH}) \\
= \bar{\nu}_{RH} [ g_R P_R^2 + g_L P_L^2 ] (e_{RH} + e_{LH}) \\
= \bar{\nu}_{RH} [ g_R P_L^\dagger P_R + g_L P_R^\dagger P_L ] (e_{RH} + e_{LH}) \\
= g_R \bar{\nu}_{RH} P_L^\dagger e_{RH} + g_L \bar{\nu}_{RH} P_R^\dagger e_{LH} \\
= 0 + g_L \bar{\nu}_{RH} e_{LH}
[/tex]

So the [itex] g_R \bar{\nu}_{RH} e_{RH} [/itex] term disappears to 0. How then is there a term proportional to [itex]g_R^2[/itex] in the differential C.S. equation?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bayners123 said:
If you look at the interaction, it's proportional to the following:

[tex] \bar{\nu} \left( g_R \frac{(1-\gamma^5)}{2} + g_L \frac{(1+\gamma^5)}{2} \right) e [/tex]
Looks to me like you've written a charged current, not a neutral current. This would not couple to the Z0. Especially if you intend that to be a muon neutrino, there's a problem!

Bill_K said:
Looks to me like you've written a charged current, not a neutral current. This would not couple to the Z0.

OK, right I think I'm understanding this a little better. So what I should have written, for muon-electron scattering, is:

[tex] \bar{\psi}_{\nu_\mu} \left[ g_R^{\nu_\mu} \frac{(1-\gamma^5)}{2} + g_L^{\nu_\mu} \frac{(1+\gamma^5)}{2} \right] \psi_{\nu_\mu} [/tex]
multiplied by the term for the electron vertex:
[tex] \bar{\psi}_{e^-} \left[ g_R^e \frac{(1-\gamma^5)}{2} + g_L^e \frac{(1+\gamma^5)}{2} \right] \psi_{e^-}
[/tex]

Is this correct?

So this should give (for the real neutrino) that only LH e -> LH e or RH e -> RH e is ok and the other terms go.

Compare with the neutrino-antineutrino -> electron anti-electron case for which the electron vertex is:
[tex] \bar{\psi}_{e^+} \left[ g_R^e \frac{(1-\gamma^5)}{2} + g_L^e \frac{(1+\gamma^5)}{2} \right] \psi_{e^-}
[/tex]
in which we should find that only RH e+, LH e- or LH e+, RH e- is allowed.

Firstly, have I got both of these right? Secondly, how is it that the first current gives LH,LH & RH,RH but the second give LH,RH & RH,LH? I assume this must be to do with the fact that it's a conjugate wavefunction for an antiparticle rather than a particle but what's the mathematical detail to this?

Thanks again!

1. What is the Z0 particle?

The Z0 particle is an electrically neutral subatomic particle that is part of the Standard Model of particle physics. It is a carrier of the weak nuclear force and is responsible for mediating interactions between particles such as electrons and quarks.

2. How does helicity affect the Z0 particle?

Helicity refers to the spin direction of a particle in relation to its direction of motion. In the case of the Z0 particle, helicity plays a significant role in its interactions with other particles. The Z0 particle can interact with particles of opposite helicity, leading to different types of interactions and decay processes.

3. What is the significance of helicity interactions of the Z0?

The helicity interactions of the Z0 particle provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles at play in the universe. By studying these interactions, scientists can better understand the structure and behavior of particles and their role in the universe.

4. How are helicity interactions of the Z0 measured?

Helicity interactions of the Z0 are measured using advanced particle accelerators and detectors. These experiments involve colliding particles with different helicities and observing the resulting interactions. Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to analyze the data and make predictions.

5. What are the potential applications of studying helicity interactions of the Z0?

Studying helicity interactions of the Z0 can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and potentially even technology development. Additionally, studying the Z0 particle can help scientists search for new particles and phenomena that could further expand our understanding of the universe.