Voltage vs Amps: The Difference Explained

In summary: Induction occurs when the magnetic fields of the two circuits align, and the electric fields cause the flow of electrons.
Momosaida
What's the difference between volts and amps?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can think of electrons flowing in a wire as water in a pipe, then pressure would be voltage, and flow of volume of water per second would be the current.

Hope that helps.

Momosaida said:
1 volt = 1 joule/coulomb = 1 weber/second.
1 amp = 1 coulomb/second = 1 joule/weber.

Voltage is electric potential/magnetic change rate.
Current is electric change rate/magnetic potential.

For detailed info, I'd recommend a peer-reviewed university-approved text on circuit theory, followed by e-m field theory as well as physics. The web has good info dispersed among the bad info. Those who are in the early stages of learning don't know the good from the bad. University libraries are still the most reliable source of info.

My personal advice, no offense to anyone, is to completely AVOID water analogies. Current and voltage have a special relationship not found in water flow. Don't equate the two, as they vastly differ. A transformer is proof of that. Two circuits in close proximity couple, and current in circuit A and its associated magnetic field result in induction in circuit B, and vice-versa. Water flow and pressure do NOT exhibit this property. I'd advise all those who wish to learn circuits and fields to seek rigorous sources, and avoid these analogies like water flow/pressure.

Just my 2 cents. Peace.

Momosaida said:

Amps are proportional to the amount of electrons flowing per seconds (charge unit
s per second)

Volts are related to the amount of energy each electron carries (energy per charge unit)

A normal PP3 (9V) battery:

connect the positive and negative terminals together and the positive will attract electrons from the negative, so they will shoot across. As there is almost no resistance, they will do so very quickly, so a high current flows. Now put a resistor between the terminals instead, and they will flow slower - there is still a 9V difference between the two terminals, but as the electrons are flowing slower (due to the resistance), a smaller current will flow.

Physically, a voltage gap represents the energy change on a group of electrons as they pass across it. A current represents the speed at which they pass across it.
A fairly bad analogy follows...
If you drop a cricket ball in air by 1m, it loses a certain amount of gravitational energy per mass unit. If you drop it in water by 1m, it will lose the same amount of gravitational energy, but fall at a lower speed, due to the resistance.

Last edited:
cabraham said:
1 volt = 1 joule/coulomb = 1 weber/second.
1 amp = 1 coulomb/second = 1 joule/weber.

Voltage is electric potential/magnetic change rate.
Current is electric change rate/magnetic potential.

For detailed info, I'd recommend a peer-reviewed university-approved text on circuit theory, followed by e-m field theory as well as physics. The web has good info dispersed among the bad info. Those who are in the early stages of learning don't know the good from the bad. University libraries are still the most reliable source of info.

My personal advice, no offense to anyone, is to completely AVOID water analogies. Current and voltage have a special relationship not found in water flow. Don't equate the two, as they vastly differ. A transformer is proof of that. Two circuits in close proximity couple, and current in circuit A and its associated magnetic field result in induction in circuit B, and vice-versa. Water flow and pressure do NOT exhibit this property. I'd advise all those who wish to learn circuits and fields to seek rigorous sources, and avoid these analogies like water flow/pressure.

Just my 2 cents. Peace.

Actually, you can do a transformer analog. The problem is getting ac water flow.

TVP45 said:
Actually, you can do a transformer analog. The problem is getting ac water flow.

What about water hammer?

That sounds pretty ac to me... :eek:)

And that wonderful hydraulic ram water pump is pretty ac too... :eek:) (I was always fascinated by one of those in my childhood, it was so mysterious).

TVP45 said:

Please elaborate. If two water carrying closed tubes are in proximity, and one of them, "A", is actively driven by a pump, with ac flow, how does "induction" take place into "B"? Explain if you don't mind. I'm not aware of any, but by all means please share your thoughts with us. BR.

zeitghost said:
What about water hammer?

That sounds pretty ac to me... :eek:)

And that wonderful hydraulic ram water pump is pretty ac too... :eek:) (I was always fascinated by one of those in my childhood, it was so mysterious).

Remember that sound? That was pulsating DC, but you're quite right that you can make a transformer analogy there, albeit with very poor regulation. After all, transformers can be made to work with pulsating DC I'm really impressed that there are many out there who know about water rams. I used to live near the Rife Ram and Pump Works. Thank you for the memory as well as a novel answer.

cabraham said:
Please elaborate. If two water carrying closed tubes are in proximity, and one of them, "A", is actively driven by a pump, with ac flow, how does "induction" take place into "B"? Explain if you don't mind. I'm not aware of any, but by all means please share your thoughts with us. BR.

Does it help if you think about it in terms of an equivalent circuit rather than in terms of induction?

Oh, and I do pretty much agree with you about not using water analogies to explain electricity. I often use electricity analogies to explain pneumatics, however.

Last edited:
tuned amplifier

pls give anote and solved problem on it

zewdu said:
pls give anote and solved problem on it

How is this relevant to the OP?

CS

1. What is the difference between voltage and amps?

Voltage and amps are both units of measurement for electricity. Voltage measures the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit, while amps measure the flow of electric charge (current) through a circuit. In simpler terms, voltage is the force that drives electric current, while amps are the amount of current that flows.

2. How are voltage and amps related?

Voltage and amps are directly proportional to each other according to Ohm's Law. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is important to understand in order to properly design and control an electrical circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage and amps?

Voltage is measured in volts (V) and amps are measured in amperes (A). These units are named after the scientists who discovered and studied electricity, Alessandro Volta and André-Marie Ampère, respectively.

4. How do voltage and amps affect the performance of electronic devices?

The amount of voltage and amps required for a device depends on its design and intended use. Too much voltage can damage a device, while too little may cause it to not function properly. Amps determine the rate at which electricity is flowing through the device, which can affect its power and performance.

5. Can voltage and amps be manipulated in an electrical circuit?

Yes, voltage and amps can be manipulated through the use of different components in an electrical circuit, such as resistors and capacitors. These components can change the amount of voltage and amps present in a circuit, which can alter the behavior of the circuit and the devices connected to it.