Putting vectors into matrices

I'm not sure what you're referring to.In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around when to put vectors into columns or rows in a linear algebra course. It also asks for the definition and method of computing a standard matrix.
astrokat11
I'm in a linear algebra course and I thought I understood the idea of putting vectors into matrices, but now I seem to be confused. When do you put the vectors into columns and when do you put them into rows? Also, what is the definition of a standard matrix and how do you compute it?
Thank you,

AstroKat

Physics news on Phys.org
astrokat11 said:
When do you put the vectors into columns
When you want the vectors in the columns.

and when do you put them into rows?
When you want the vectors in the rows.

Also, what is the definition of a standard matrix and how do you compute it?
You'll need to give more context for that one.

1. What is the purpose of putting vectors into matrices?

The purpose of putting vectors into matrices is to organize and represent data in a more efficient and structured way. Matrices are useful for performing mathematical operations on vectors, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. How do you put a vector into a matrix?

To put a vector into a matrix, you simply need to list the elements of the vector in the same order as the matrix rows or columns. For example, if you have a vector with 3 elements, you can create a 3x1 or 1x3 matrix with those elements listed in the rows or columns.

3. What is the difference between a row vector and a column vector?

A row vector is a vector with a single row and multiple columns, while a column vector is a vector with a single column and multiple rows. The main difference between the two is their orientation, as a row vector is represented horizontally and a column vector is represented vertically.

4. Can you put vectors of different lengths into a matrix?

No, you cannot put vectors of different lengths into a matrix. Matrices require all rows and columns to have the same number of elements, so vectors of different lengths would not be compatible. If you have vectors of different lengths, you can add zeros to the shorter vector to make them the same length before putting them into a matrix.

5. How do you perform matrix operations on vectors?

To perform matrix operations on vectors, you follow the same rules as operating on matrices. For example, to add two vectors together, you add the corresponding elements of each vector. To multiply a vector by a scalar, you simply multiply each element of the vector by the scalar. The resulting vector will have the same dimensions as the original vector.