Nitrogen Expansion: Formula & Info

In summary, a shooter has noticed a change in the point of impact (POI) when the temperature changes and believes it is due to the expansion of nitrogen in rifle scopes. However, other factors such as changes in air density, viscosity, and muzzle velocity may also contribute to changes in the ballistic curve and POI. It is suggested to consider the effects of thermal expansion on the barrel and ammunition as well.
sdymanski
G'day
Could anyone give me the formula for expansion of nitrogen?
Cheers

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Please elaborate, question is too vague for any reasonably precise answer.

--

Well, I'm a shooter, and few of my friends noticed a change in the POI when temperature changes. Rifle scopes are filled with nitrogen to stop them from fogging up, my theory is that when nitrogen expands, it affects the accuracy. Now I need to prove it, and find out specifically how it affects it and by how much.
Cheers

If I understand situation correctly scope is just a sealed tube filled with gas, so you would need to know how rigid the tube is, as basically there is no expansion - this is a constant volume case. Sure, tube is not infinitely rigid, so it will yield to some extent, but intuition tells me changes will be neglectable. Basically pV=nRT should work, you know temperature and volume, and n is constant.

However, intuition tells me that temperature change in general changes so many parameters that blaming just nitrogen & scope is wrong. When temperature changes air density and viscosity changes as well, so ballistic curve changes. I suppose muzzle velocity is also to some extent dependent on the temperature, that again means changes to the ballistic curve. No idea how scope mount is made, but it can be affected by metal thermal expansion as well. So - many things to consider, nitrogen inside seems to me to be between those least important.

There are thick books on the subject, these things were researched to the finiest details for military purposes. There are also programs that calculate ballistic curves. Have you checked if your observations are not easily explained in terms of known effects?

--

If the problem is missing high when it is warm out, that would be consistent with warmer air being less dense and causing less drag. For the same reason, there are more homeruns in baseball in the summer than in the spring and fall.

sdymanski said:
Well, I'm a shooter, and few of my friends noticed a change in the POI when temperature changes. Rifle scopes are filled with nitrogen to stop them from fogging up, my theory is that when nitrogen expands, it affects the accuracy. Now I need to prove it, and find out specifically how it affects it and by how much.
Cheers

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/Accuracy.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that it's a sealed container, it wouldn't be expanding but just changing the pressure as temperature/ambient pressure changed. While that'd change the refractive index slightly, I agree with Chemistree here in that other effects are almost certainly more significant.

To begin with, thermal expansion of the barrel/ammunition. Given that the barrel and bullet are made out of different materials (with different thermal expansion rates) the bullet's going to sit tighter or looser in the barrel depending on temperature, for instance.

Thanks guys :), I'll take a look at different factors.

What is nitrogen expansion?

Nitrogen expansion is the process by which nitrogen gas expands from a compressed state to a less compressed state, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

What is the formula for nitrogen expansion?

The formula for nitrogen expansion is PV = constant, where P is the initial pressure of the nitrogen gas and V is the volume of the gas.

How does nitrogen expansion affect temperature?

Nitrogen expansion causes a decrease in temperature due to the gas losing energy as it expands and does work on its surroundings.

What are the applications of nitrogen expansion?

Nitrogen expansion has various applications in industries such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and cryogenics. It is also used in gas-filled light bulbs and airbags in cars.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with nitrogen expansion?

It is important to handle compressed nitrogen gas with caution as it can be hazardous if not handled properly. Proper ventilation and protective equipment should be used to avoid exposure to the gas. It is also important to follow safety protocols when working with compressed gas cylinders.