Systems of ODE's double-zero eigenvalues

In summary, The conversation is discussing a problem with finding eigenvalues using the variation of parameters method. The speaker has found a double-zero value for one of the eigenvalues and is asking for help in finding the second zero value. They mention using a guess of t in the general solution and note that the column vectors of the matrix are linearly dependent.
gabriels-horn

Homework Statement

Image.jpg
I put a triangle around the problem of interest.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the eigenvalues, resulting in double-zero values. My question is, using the variation of parameters method, which is what (14) refers to in the question. How do I solve for the second zero. For the first I get the matrix

([1]) *c1 for the general solution.
([1])

Do I need to add a guess such as t to the next zero eigenvalue?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah so as you say, a constant value is your 1st general solution, i would try multplying by t and whether you can find a 2nd...

note also, that the column vectors of the matrix are the linearly dependent, and that x1' = x2' for all t

1. What are systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues?

Systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues are a type of differential equation system where the matrix of coefficients for the system has a repeated eigenvalue of zero. This means that there is a non-trivial solution to the system that satisfies both the system of equations and the initial conditions.

2. What is the significance of having double-zero eigenvalues in a system of ODE's?

Having double-zero eigenvalues in a system of ODE's can indicate the presence of multiple solutions or a degenerate system. It can also affect the stability and behavior of the solutions of the system.

3. How do you solve a system of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues?

To solve a system of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues, first find the general solution to the system using standard methods such as elimination or substitution. Then, use the initial conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies both the system and the given initial conditions.

4. Can systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues have complex solutions?

Yes, systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues can have complex solutions. This is because the repeated eigenvalue of zero can lead to complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors in the solution of the system.

5. How can systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues be applied in real-world situations?

Systems of ODE's with double-zero eigenvalues can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model real-world situations. For example, they can be used to study the stability of a mechanical system or the behavior of a biological population.