Self leveling crane pallet fork

In summary, the "Self leveling pallet fork" is a tool that keeps itself perfectly level regardless of the load applied. It does this by using a spring-loaded arm that moves to the center of gravity of the load. However, it is not meant to handle uneven loading over the area of the pallet and has a minimum weight requirement for the auto-leveling feature to kick in. This tool is more efficient and saves time compared to manual adjustment tools.
Lsos
I’ve been looking at this “Self leveling pallet fork” which is supposed to, as the name suggests, keep itself perfectly level regardless of the load applied.

I guess I can see how it would adjust itself depending on the weight, but I just can’t wrap my head around how it can possibly adjust itself depending on the center of gravity for the weight.

I other words, if the tool picks up a pallet with me on it, I don’t understand how it can possibly keep itself level if I was to walk around on the pallet. If I was standing perfectly still in the center, fine. If I was moving around…I don’t get it. Can anyone help me understand it? Does it maybe work with the assumption that the pallet is perfectly evenly loaded?

[PLAIN]http://www.heidenco.com/images/Pal_Fork.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IEnoJavoFX8

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That arm on the top appears to be spring-loaded (and possibly hydraulically-damped as well) so that the connection-point can move to the center of gravity of the load. Nothing is perfect, and you will notice that in the video, the pallets are quite evenly loaded and they are hoisted only after the tines are fully inserted into the pallets. Put a very heavy load out near the ends of the tines, and things might not be as pretty.

turbo said:
That arm on the top appears to be spring-loaded (and possibly hydraulically-damped as well) so that the connection-point can move to the center of gravity of the load. Nothing is perfect, and you will notice that in the video, the pallets are quite evenly loaded and they are hoisted only after the tines are fully inserted into the pallets. Put a very heavy load out near the ends of the tines, and things might not be as pretty.

Since it's spring loaded, I would expect the connection point to move as a function of weight on the fork. Only.

I just don't see how moving the center of gravity around could possibly cause the spring to stretch and cause the connection point to move.

They are not meant to handle uneven loading over the area of the pallet. The adjustment compensates for the CG position of the weight of the load plus the weight of the fork itself. Like any pallet lift, they are not meant to lift weights using just the tips of the tines either.

As turbo said it is basically a spring loaded hinge, often with a gas spring which also provides some damping.

They usually have a minimum weight of about 20% of the SWL before the auto-levelling kicks in. Below that, the ends of the tines tend to point up, which at least stops light loads from sliding off.

There are simpler and cheaper crane forks with manual adjustment of the lift position, but the automatic ones save time and operator errors handling "mixed" loads.

I see...so basically they work with the assumption that the pallet is evenly loaded. That explains why it didn't make sense to me!

Related to Self leveling crane pallet fork

1. What is a self leveling crane pallet fork?

A self leveling crane pallet fork is a specialized attachment that is used with a crane to lift and transport pallets. It is designed to automatically adjust and level the load being lifted, ensuring stability and safety during the lifting and transportation process.

2. How does a self leveling crane pallet fork work?

The self leveling feature of the crane pallet fork is achieved through the use of hydraulic cylinders that are connected to the fork. As the load is lifted, the hydraulic system automatically adjusts the position of the fork to keep the load level and prevent it from tilting or shifting. This ensures safe and efficient lifting and transportation of pallets.

3. What are the benefits of using a self leveling crane pallet fork?

Using a self leveling crane pallet fork offers several benefits, including increased safety and efficiency. The self leveling feature eliminates the need for manual adjustments, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries. It also allows for faster and more precise lifting and transportation of pallets, saving time and improving productivity.

4. Can a self leveling crane pallet fork be used with any type of crane?

Yes, a self leveling crane pallet fork can be used with various types of cranes, including mobile cranes, tower cranes, and overhead cranes. However, it is important to ensure that the crane has the necessary lifting capacity to handle the weight of the load and the attachment.

5. Are there any maintenance or safety precautions to keep in mind when using a self leveling crane pallet fork?

Like any other equipment, a self leveling crane pallet fork requires regular maintenance to ensure safe and efficient operation. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and inspection. Additionally, proper training and safety precautions should be followed when using the attachment to prevent accidents or damage to the equipment.