Shifting a parabola vs changing slope of a line

In summary, by including a coefficient of 10 for x^2 and x in the equations, the line will have a steeper slope while the parabola will be shifted down and to the right. However, these outcomes would have been the same if the same operation was done on both equations. Increasing the coefficient of x^2 will result in a steeper curve, while increasing the coefficient of x will result in a steeper slope. Additionally, changing the coefficients will also shift the line and parabola to different positions.
LearninDaMath
Consider the graphs of two equations:

[y = x] and [y = x^2]

One is a line and the other is a parabola.

If I include a 10x into each formula, to make:

[y = 10x] and [y = 10x + x^2]

then the affect it will have on the line is increase its slope.

But the affect it will have on the parabola is just shift it down and to the right, but not having any affect on its overall curve.

Are all these fair statements?

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:
Consider the graphs of two equations:

[y = x] and [y = x^2]

One is a line and the other is a parabola.

If I include a 10x into each formula, to make:

[y = 10x] and [y = 10x + x^2]

then the affect it will have on the line is increase its slope.

But the affect it will have on the parabola is just shift it down and to the right, but not having any affect on its overall curve.

Are all these fair statements?

Not exactly because you're not doing the same operations on both the equations. You're multiplying 10 for the x^2 and adding 10 for the other. If you had done the same operation on both functions then the outcomes would have also been the same.

To shift x2 to the right by q units, make it (x-q)2. To increase its slope, increase the coefficient of x2.

kscplay said:
Not exactly because you're not doing the same operations on both the equations. You're multiplying 10 for the x^2 and adding 10 for the other. If you had done the same operation on both functions then the outcomes would have also been the same.

Okay, so if I increase the coefficient of x^2, i'll get a steeper curve and if I increase the coefficient of x, i'll get a steeper slope.

Now if I go from f(x) = x^2 to f(x) = 10x + x^2, that shifts the parabola down and to the left. And if I go from f(x) = x to f(x) = 10 + x, that shifts the line someway (in other words, it changes its x and y intercepts), right?

1. How does shifting a parabola affect its shape?

Shifting a parabola horizontally or vertically will not change its shape. It will only change its position on the coordinate plane.

2. Can the slope of a line be changed without shifting it?

Yes, the slope of a line can be changed without shifting it by adjusting the value of the slope, also known as the slope coefficient.

3. What is the difference between shifting a parabola and changing the slope of a line?

Shifting a parabola refers to moving the entire parabola horizontally or vertically, while changing the slope of a line refers to altering the steepness of the line.

4. Is it possible to shift a parabola and change the slope of a line at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to both shift a parabola and change the slope of a line at the same time. This can be achieved by using a combination of horizontal and vertical shifts, as well as adjusting the slope coefficient.

5. How can shifting a parabola or changing the slope of a line affect the graph's intercepts?

Shifting a parabola or changing the slope of a line will not affect the x-intercept of the graph, only the y-intercept. The x-intercept remains constant because it depends on the value of the independent variable, while the y-intercept changes because it depends on the value of the dependent variable.